Stay Social. Stay Sane.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Author Topic: 2nd Pregnancy- hoping no preterm labor  (Read 118 times)

Mfcauburn

• View Profile
2nd Pregnancy- hoping no preterm labor
« on: November 25, 2017 at 08:51 PM »
My history: I had my first child 5 years ago. I went into preterm labor, but was completely unaware I was in labor. I had no pain. Didn't notice my regular contractions. I found out at a regular 32 week appointment. I mentioned to my doctor that I was having hard contractions whenever I stood up out of bed at night to go to the bathroom. He said he wanted to check my cervix. I was 3cm dilated and 80% effaced. I was shocked. I was sent to the hospital, where they monitored me initially and found I was having regular contractions. I was then placed in a birthing suite and was readied for a possible delivery. I was visited by the NICU doctor. I was given medications to try to stop the progression of my labor and given steroids to prep my baby's lungs. I spent 3 days in the hospital, and they were satisfied my labor was no longer progressing. I was put on Procardia and sent home on strict bedrest. But I had frequent  contractions (that I could feel) until I delivered- not pleasant. I had weekly visits thereafter. I went for my 37 week appointment and thought my labor might be progressing, since my contractions were regular, 8 minutes apart. Sure enough I was 6cm dilated and 90% effaced. So I had made it 5 more weeks, getting to 37 weeks, having a healthy baby girl. 

My husband and I decided one child was enough and we were afraid to risk another pregnancy. After a job change and much thought, I changed my mind. And my husband agreed. So here we are pregnant with another girl and hopeful for a more normal pregnancy. unfortunately it hasn't been perfect: lots of pain, crazy heart rate (history if this without medication and of course cardiologist doesn't want me to take anything for it while pregnant), and minor blood pressure elevations recently (have HTN normally, but controlled with medication).

I'm almost 30 weeks pregnant, with a due date of February 5th. I am having what I think are contractions when I stand up and my belly stays very hard, sometimes for a very long time. Not something I'd consider a regular contraction. It stops when I sit or lay down.  I called the on-call doctor Friday, and she thought since it wasn't consistent, it should be ok. (I did give her my history.) Last visit to my doctor, week before this one, I told him about how tight my belly got when I stood, which he feels was normal. But the feelings I'm having now are stronger than when I saw him last. I have some other random contractions, no pattern that I've noticed. I do have some pressure as well. No spotting, no leakage.

Was checked at 22 weeks and had normal ultrasound results for my cervix. Week 23 I had such pain and pressure my doctor manually checked me and did my cervix was a little soft. Haven't had a cervical check since.

So at this point, I have nothing terribly abnormal to my doctors. Which is frustrating at times, when things feel so abnormal. In doing some research, I think I likely have an irritable uterus and am going to ask about it at my upcoming appointment. I go every two weeks. Hoping for a cervical check this visit to ease my mind. well at least I hope.

Mfcauburn

• View Profile
Re: 2nd Pregnancy- hoping no preterm labor
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017 at 11:41 PM »
At my appointment today (30 weeks), I am no more than 50% effaced, not dilated. Baby is still high. So not perfect, but not horrible.