Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Keep the faith! (Twins, short cervix, funneling, cerclage, pre eclampsia,  (Read 327 times)

Nessa002

• View Profile
Hi everyone,                               I feel like I need to share my story with you all. After our 6th and final iui, we got pregnant with twins! At 8 weeks, I had a intra uterine hemmorhage and was placed on bedrest at home. That resolved on its own and i was free! I started feeling really sick around week 5 and by week 12, I was diagnosed with hyperemesis. I was hospitalized for a week to replenish my fluids and balance my electrolytes. My babies were super healthy throughout. By week 16, I was well enough to shop (with the help of ALOT of meds for the nausea) I went to the mall alone and lost consciousness. I ended up in an ambulance to a random hospital. My EKG was abnormal.
I was sent for a Doppler and a heart ultrasound. I had to wear a holter for 48 hours. Everything came back normal. I think I just tried to do too much too fast.. At week 18, my doctor mentioned that my cervix was a little bit shorter but he wasn't worried. I was to go back for an ultrasound a week later. When I went back, my cervix was 2.8 cm with funneling . I was hospitalized and put in trendelenberg. I was terrified. I should also mention that I am a nurse who happens to work in ante partum, on the same floor that I was on as a patient.. by week 20, I was 3 cm dilated and sent to the birthing center. The MFM doctor working that day said I would deliver within hours. I was a complete mess. I needed someone to tell me the outcome and no one had answers for me. All I could think of were the cases that I had seen as an RN. My doctor came in and did an emergency cerclage. A couple of hours later, I felt a large gush of fluid from my vagina. My doctor rushed in. He was visibly upset. After the testing was done, he came in and told me I have an angel in heaven looking after me because he was sure my water broke for baby A. It didn't! This gush happened two more times and both times, my membranes were intact! I was in the hospital for 64 days in trendelenberg. It was the loneliest and scariest time of my life. My babies were still SO healthy and on track. The only problem was the incubator, me! I had the darkest times of my life lying in that bed. My legs didn't work anymore. I wasn't sleeping.. and then I found this site. I lay for HOURS reading everyone's stories and it got me through. No one understood what I was going through, except for this community. I didn't believe they would make it. I had preterm labour and every time I had a contraction, I thought it was the end. I was on IV fluids for 2 months to stop the contractions. I was on indocid, adalat, ventolin, progesterone and magnesium. Still, the contractions continued and everytime I would give up hope, I would read people's stories. My cervix fluctuated a lot. I was able to come home at 28 weeks because my mom was moving in to take care of me. I was still on bedrest but I was able to use the bathroom and shower sitting down. It was really hard because my legs were not working well so not only did I have to watch for pressure, contractions etc, I also had to try not to fall. I had my cerclage removed at 32 weeks because I was feeling ALOT of pressure. I was 1 cm dilated before the removal.. I went home the next day because there was no change. My doctor and I were in close contact. We texted updates very often. My blood pressure started creeping up and I was becoming very swollen. I was diagnosed with pre eclampsia at 34 weeks. Can you believe I was still pregnant at 34 weeks?? I took my blood pressure at home and was to go in if it was high or if I felt symptomatic. I was INDUCED at 36.3 week for pre eclampsia. I had my little girl vaginally and my little boy turned his head and got stuck. He was having long heart decels so they did an emergency c section for him. She was 4.14 lbs and he was 5.6 lbs. They were in the NICU for hypoglycemia, jaundice and feeding issues ( they had NG tubes). They stayed there for 8 days. They were late preterms! I never thought I would get that far! I decided to write this so that maybe I could pay it forward. To the woman lying in bed reading this. Please keep hope. You are not alone. And remember, it's not over until it's over.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017 at 02:23 AM by Nessa002 »

reasontohope

• View Profile
Wow, I just cried reading your story. I have a success story too (healthy baby girl born at 36 weeks after months of bedrest, pessary, and a cervix that went down as low as 4 mm) but didn't have to go through half what you did. I too lurked this board in my darkest hours and posted later. I hope you are having an amazing holiday with your babies! Sending hope and strength to all of you women reading this. One hour at a time, one day a time, one week at a time, you will get through this and you're not alone.