Stay Social. Stay Sane.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Author Topic: Placenta Previa and Short Cervix  (Read 268 times)

Third

• View Profile
Placenta Previa and Short Cervix
« on: December 02, 2017 at 12:22 AM »
Hi. I have a complete placenta previa which is centered over my cervix and not going to move. I am currently 23 weeks and was diagnosed with a 2.7cm cervix at 19 weeks when I started to spot. At my 21 week anatomy scan it was stable at 2.5cm. This week I had a small bleed and was in the hospital for a day. My cervix is now 1.5cm. I am now on modified bed rest at home, weekly 17p shots for the last 3 weeks but can't get a cerclage or use a pessary because of the previa and bleeding.

Next step is to do an ultrasound at almost 24w and see how things are going. The doctor brought up that we have the option to terminate up until 24 weeks because there is a risk to my life. Otherwise if my cervix shortens too much in the next 2 weeks after they have to deliver because of the risk of bleeding which comes with a high risk of long term disability. We have two young kids already and are worried about the impact of a severe disability on our family so the chance of having to make that decision quickly is making me sick to my stomach.

I also can't get a good answer on how likely I am to have to deliver in that 2-4
week window and it's frustrating.

I'm so stressed when I am supposed to be chilling. How to cope?

ProudMamaRN

• View Profile
Re: Placenta Previa and Short Cervix
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017 at 12:00 AM »
The decision you have to make is a difficult one. I am sorry for the choice and hopefully with you sharing your feelings will enable you to find the peace in making such a tough decision. Did you speak to any other medical professionals about your pregnancy? Im on bedrest and currently 24 weeks + 6 days due to cervix shortening to 6mm and funneling. I am not a candidate for cerclage, but did the steroid and lung maturation injections. I was put on bedrest Wednesday with Indomethacin 50 mg q 6 hours. Praying it works on my end of bedrest stopping the funneling. Prayers to you!!!

Third

• View Profile
Re: Placenta Previa and Short Cervix
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017 at 02:37 PM »
Ugh. Prayers for you as well.

I am slowly coming to some peace in my head about what information we need and what decision we might have to make. It's crazy, everyone talks about viability without alot of discussing quality of life for the child.  It's hard to get facts. Maybe we can ask to speak with a neonatal ped.

If we are blessed to get to 27/28 weeks I will be breathing a huge sigh of relief.