Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 24 weeks, cerclage, +FFN  (Read 885 times)

Flynnsprinkles

• View Profile
24 weeks, cerclage, +FFN
« on: December 07, 2017 at 09:04 PM »
I've really appreciate reading everyone's stories. Hoping to add mine and receive support and encouragement as we still have a long way to go.

Background: with my first pregnancy I had a completely normal experience. Baby was breech presentation but I delivered term (positional HTN and GDM). The day I delivered at 37w3d my Dr checked me and said I was 70% effaced and 1-2 cm dilated. I had to have a c-section d/t breech and nothing was found wrong with my uterus, Dr encouraged a VBAC attempt in the future.

2 years later we are excited to be expecting our second baby. Went in for routine anatomy scan at 19 weeks and it was discovered that my cervix was 1.2 cm. I was put on 200 mg progesterone. Less than a week later I had contractions at work, called my Dr and was seen for emergency appointment. Cervix was closed and she referred me to MFM for second opinion. They monitored me for 3 weeks where I stayed stable with some funneling but at the third appointment I dropped to 4 mm with funneling and it was decided to do cerclage. During surgery they discovered that anatomically I have a shorter than average cervix. Post surgical follow up showed total cervix was max 2.1 but distal to cerclage I was only .6-.8 cm due to my anatomy. I was discharged to my OB for monitoring.

2 weeks after cerclage I'm now 24 weeks. My first follow up ultrasound with the tech at my office was a disaster. She didn't read the chart right and misunderstood my measurements. She said I had dropped to 5 mm again. I tried to explain because the ultrasound looked identical to what I had seen the week prior. It started a whole cascade of panic. Good news is that the next day when I saw my Dr she had talked to the MFM and found the error on the u/s techs part so I didn't have any change from the prior week.

She decided to do an fFN which I know know can trigger false positives (correct?) with cerclage and especially so early after cerclage placement (I was only 2 weeks) plus my cervix is very friable from the progesterone and the surgeon said I bled with the slightest touch. Long story short FFN was positive.

I came in the next day for steroid shot and contraction monitoring. They said I was having small ones every 3 min that I could not feel.

I'm suspicious that I might have bled a little with the fFN as I had very light brown discharge the next day. And I'm wondering if all the TVUs and fFNs weren't just agitating my uterus.

I went in today for second steriod shot. They did a UTI work up (negative) and repeated my contraction monitoring. I was having less frequent and erratic small contractions. Dr called my uterus "Irritable" and likely this was all part of second pregnancy where women tend to have more Braxton Hicks. She now thinks that I may be very sensitive to these and my natural shorter cervix was responding more than one that was a normal length. She said the cerclage was there as insurance to get me to full term. She's really confident that I can get there because of my history.

I'm not working (I'm a nurse and they don't want me on my feet all day) so doing bedrest. Still on progesterone. She's holding off on Procardia for now.

It's hard to be this weird anomaly of having no history of IC or preterm labor previously. I've now had 4 Drs (3 being MFM) tell me how unusual I am but that leaves me in limbo because they just don't really know how this will a go.

I'll be 25 weeks Saturday (2 days away!) and pray to make it to at least 28 weeks. Ideally full term of course but I'm taking it 1 week at a time.

Thanks for letting me share my story. Hope to update it as I keep this baby cooking.

Alolita

• View Profile
Re: 24 weeks, cerclage, +FFN
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017 at 03:39 AM »
Hi:

My story is similar to yours. I had a completely normal first pregnancy with normal cervical lengths reading my medical records. CS at term secondary to non reassuring heart beat. Second pregnancy, I went in at 18 weeks for increased discharge and I was 6cm dilated. Rescue cerclage  failed, i ruptured and lost my daughter. My OB ans mfm said I had and still have no risk factors. Currently pregnant again with a cerclage on bed rest.

Sometimes in medicine things can't be explained and it does bother us a lot. Do take it one day atba time, bed rest and progesterone. There is nothing else you can do now. Praying you make it as far as possible. Positive thoughts and vibes.

Flynnsprinkles

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017 at 08:45 PM »
Thank you for your reply! We really do
Have similar stories. I'm so sorry for your previous loss and hope this will be a rainbow baby for you all. Wish there was an explainable reason for our issues but maybe it was the c-section? Who knows. As long as we can bring these babies into the world healthy.

I'm now 25 weeks 3 days.  I've now noticed more Braxton Hicks if I've done too much or if I'm having issues with constipation or gas. Now that I'm nearly 26 weeks, 28 seems like a real possibility.  Just trying to take it easy. So hard with the holidays though.

Alolita

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017 at 06:46 PM »
Hi:

Im so glad your baby is still cooking. Our babies are still cooking. 27 weeks today. My only thought also was the c section, but there are no studies supporting this. There is an increased rate of IC if there is prolonged pushing prior to c section, but we both didn't push.

I do feel more contractions too when I am more active. I try to stay in bed more or be a couch potatoe. Also drinking lots of water and using colace.

You should join the live chat 2pm EST on Tuesdays. Its for an hour.

Happy Holidays and I pray that the good tidings of this season bless us with healthy full term babies.  :)

Flynnsprinkles

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017 at 05:08 PM »
I had a cervix check yesterday at 26w3d and I'm holding stable! Yesterday also marked 2 weeks after my + fFN so my Dr is now calling it a false positive. Yay!!

I did have contractions last Saturday prior to my appointment that were 3 min apart for an hour but not painful. Regardless, it was very scary. I started chugging water and drank almost 2 liters and then it finally stopped. We were going to L&D, but by the time my parents arrived to watch our daughter (it was 10 PM at night and she was in bed) they tappered off quickly. My mom is an RN so she monitored me for a while and then we all decided to not go because I was likely dehydrated (even though I drink 100oz a day!)

So now I drink 130-160oz a day and I have not had any issue since. Plus reassurance from our ultrasound and Dr yesterday that it was likely dehydration and fluid shifting after my steroid shots. So I'm still not going to be on Procardia just yet. Very happy to get good news!

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017 at 08:44 PM »
Wow! That is all kinds of fantastic news! The contractions were scary, of course, but everything is looking good now!

That's reassuring that you've been able to hold off on the Procardia for now. For me, we had to increase the dose and/or frequency every few weeks. Now you can keep that in your "tool box" if you need it later on. Positive thoughts coming your way!

reasontohope

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017 at 06:09 PM »
I too had a false positive fFN at 24 weeks! It was also the only fFN swab I had where I had brown discharge/slight bleeding afterwards. I'm pretty sure that caused it. Good luck!!

Flynnsprinkles

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017 at 04:20 PM »
Thank you! That makes me feel better that it was the cause. Plus I'm now 27w4 days and no signs of labor sooooo :) feeling positive I can go the distance to term!

reasontohope

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017 at 06:13 PM »
Hooray, you're almost to 28 weeks!! I made it all the way to 36 weeks 3 days, went to labor at 36 weeks 2 days, just about a day after getting my pessary removed + stopping progesterone. Rooting for you!

Flynnsprinkles

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018 at 03:19 PM »
I'm officially 31 weeks and 3 days today!  Well past the 2 week +fFN and additional 6 weeks past that some women often go into labor following a + test. My personal goal if I had to go early was to make it to at least 32 weeks as risk factors are lower and NICU time shorter. Now I feel like I have all the chance in the world to make it to term. I'm not sure I would have said that back when this all started at 18 weeks. I still have a ways to go but I'm just breathing so much easier now.  I can see the finish line.

I have had more Braxton hicks but that is to be expected especially with second pregnancy. Last night I did have 4 non-painful contractions 10 min apart but they stopped on their own as sudden as they started before we could even decide to head to L&D. I have a Drs appointment next week Tuesday when I'll be 32 weeks.  Just feeling very grateful to make it even this far. 

Flynnsprinkles

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018 at 03:40 PM »
Another update for anyone who is following or find this helpful. I'm now 35w3d. My last appointment at 34 weeks I was 1 cm dilated but cerclage continues to hold. My Dr told me this is not unusual for second time + mom's but we're continuing bedrest to make it to at least 36 weeks.  And I'm sooo close! I'm having more Braxton hicks mainly in the evening. Now my blood pressure is acting up like with my first. I never had Pre-E just gestational HTN in the third Tri so hoping this is the same and am being monitored. So far so good.

The plan is to see if I can get to 37 weeks and then remove the cerclage but it all depends on my body. I'm not having any signs of bleeding but if I continue to dilate she may need to take it out early and I've been warned to bring my hospital bag to every appointment now and not to drive myself. Yikes!

I have an appointment again today. It's always the same day and time as the group chat so sorry I keep missing it!

Flynnsprinkles

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018 at 11:01 AM »
UPDATE:

On 3/2/2018 at 36w6d my girl was born. We were induced due to blood pressure issues. Ironically the cerclage was still holding at that time. Once it was removed though I began contractions.

My labor was awful but unrealated IC. My attempt at a VBAC resulted in uterine abruption and I had to be on Mag sulfate for 24 hrs after birth.

Our daughter is a little peanut but we are all here safe and sound.

OBmom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018 at 11:44 AM »
Congrats on your beautiful baby girl!

Thanks for sharing your success, it gives us all the more hope for great outcomes for everyone here.
Enjoy that precious tiny bundle and Good Luck!