Stay Social. Stay Sane.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Author Topic: Short cervix 1.8cm at 19 weeks - cerclage or not?!  (Read 395 times)

MrsB2

• View Profile
Short cervix 1.8cm at 19 weeks - cerclage or not?!
« on: December 22, 2017 at 05:42 AM »
Hi ladies
This is my story so far - I am terrified and hope that your own stories can allay my fears or give me honest advice on what to do next!
This is me: I’m in the uk. In 2010 I had a LLETZ/LEEP for precancerous cells and had 1.4cm depth removed. I have a three year old who we conceived with fertility treatment (PCOS) after this and at my 22 week scan my cervix was 2.7cm. We had to pay for this privately as in the UK they don’t consider one previous LLETZ a concern for PTL!! My gynaecologist was happy with this and I carried to 38 weeks 6 days but had a 1 hour and 37 minute labour!
We’ve had a long journey of fertility treatment again and I am now 19 weeks 4 days. I asked my consultant at 13 weeks about checking my cervical length as my midwife was concerned that my quick labour may have weakened my cervix. They refused. Fast forward six weeks and I was getting awful pains in my vagina so they agreed to do a cervical length scan. It was closed but measuring only 1.8 without pressure. My consultant basically had no advice and said they wouldn’t really want to do a cerclage as I haven’t had a previous PTL Andy they’re worried about the risks. I also have group strep B. We begged for progesterone which they have never prescribed for short cervix at that hospital. She agreed and im taking a 200mg pessary at night. I have to go back in one week to be rescanned. They also don’t advocate bed rest in the uk but I’m on leave anyway at the moment so I’ve put myself on it! I just don’t know what to do - do I push for a cerclage or do the risks outweigh the benefits? The hospital seem so reluctant to do anything but how can’t they see that this is our child and we want to try anything we can to save it?
Sorry for such a long post - I truly appreciate any help, guidance, advice, support you can offer!! Thanks x

reasontohope

• View Profile
Re: Short cervix 1.8cm at 19 weeks - cerclage or not?!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017 at 03:01 PM »
OMG! Please, please, please get some progesterone at the very least! Where are you in the UK that they aren't even prescribing progesterone?!?!?! Can you get transferred ASAP to a more serious high risk group of doctors? Can you go to London? I agree with your practitioner that a cerclage is risky, but you should absolutely ask about a PESSARY, also called an ARABIN PESSARY in the UK.

If the NHS is not obliging, can you see a private doctor? Maybe you would not need to see one regularly—just to have the pessary placed and get a prescription for the progesterone.

Can you call this place Tommy's in London? They are an organization that supports women at risk of preterm labor. https://www.tommys.org/our-organisation/help-and-support Maybe they can help you?? Tommy's PregnancyLine: 0800 0147 800

You need to move fast!

I had both a pessary and was on 200 mg of vaginal progesterone. I will never know which (or maybe both) enabled me to carry my girl to 36 weeks, but when both were stopped at the same time I quickly went into labor.

Neither the progesterone nor the pessary have ANY serious potential side effects! There is NOTHING to lose by having either. Same can't be said for the cerclage.

Sending you all the best & a very merry Christmas.

reasontohope

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017 at 03:05 PM »
You should also ask about fFN tests-- fetal fibronectin-- biweekly starting at 24 weeks. I don't know if they have them in the UK, but they can help you evaluate whether you should be getting rescue steroids and how important it is that week to be on bed rest. They have a lot of false positives (I got a false positive at 24 weeks-- it was terrifying-- and steroids) but when negative they are 99% accurate. It brings huge peace of mind when they're negative, and the opportunity to take greater precautions when they're positive.

MrsB2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018 at 12:21 PM »
Hi ladies
Thanks for getting back to me. I’m on cyclogest 200mg daily. I’m in York.
I’ve had weekly scans since my first and my measurements have stayed the same between 1.8-1.9cm. I’ve signed myself off work for this week but today the consultant said that he cannot prescribe bed rest and has refused to give me a sick note saying I have to return to my job next week and carry on with weekly scans if we want them. They don’t seem to be taking it very seriously at all! I’m a primary school teacher so it’s a full day on my feet and a long commute. I just don’t know what to think anymore! I’ve contacted a private doctor in London but they don’t have an appointment for another week so I feel stuck! X

reasontohope

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018 at 03:17 PM »
Another week is ok! That would be about now, right? I hope you went. I got my pessary at around 23 weeks and it still worked, so I think you have time. Sending you all the best!!! Please fight for yourself and your baby, and don't give up hope!

MrsB2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018 at 10:30 AM »
Hi - update
Thanks for the reply. I went for my cervical length scan on Weds 10th and it had shortened to around 14mm so had the cerclage fitted on Thursday - just recovering. The procedure went well but the surgeon said it was very very short but they managed to get the stitch in. My Ob doesn’t want to do anymore scans as it change the outcome and I suppose the less up there the better infection-wise. I have a check up on Weds. I’m really scared still but hoping this will give us many more weeks to give our baby a good chance. I don’t know what are chances are but taking a day at a time and hoping to get to each milestone - 24, 28, etc. Now 22+6 xx