Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: first time pregnancy, 21 weeks with dynamic cervix 1.9cm  (Read 257 times)

ighopeful

• View Profile
first time pregnancy, 21 weeks with dynamic cervix 1.9cm
« on: July 21, 2018 at 05:09 PM »
Hi everyone, it is so wonderful to see that there's so much support on this forum!
This is my first pregnancy. I had an anatomy ultrasound at 19.5 weeks and cervix at the time measured 2.94 cm with pressure 3.26 cm. My obstetrician decided to repeat cervical length ~ 1 week later (21 weeks) at and they found that i have a dynamic cervix measuring between 2.4 cm to 1.9 cm at shortest. I've now been started on progesterone suppositories and bed rest, with repeat scan in a few days.
What are the chances that I will deliver < 24 or <28 weeks?
What are the signs I should watch out for?
I don't feel any cramps but do feel certain part of my uterus firm intermittently (could it be baby?).

I'm trying to stay positive to keep baby in as long as possible! This is a very challenging time and it's amazing to read the successful stories on here.

Any advice /help would be much appreciated.

ms79

• View Profile
Re: first time pregnancy, 21 weeks with dynamic cervix 1.9cm
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018 at 08:17 PM »
Ighopeful,

Simar story, my cervix was 1.9 at 21wks and was put on progesterone suppositories, told to reduce my work schedule and stop working out but no bed rest. Ive been doing my own research and bed rest doesnt seem to do much apart from harm, so i have been walking moderately and doing some prenatal yoga classes.
I too had a dynamic cervix, it went to 2.3, then 1.7, then 1.3 and now its 0.7.
BUT im at 34 weeks today and finally feel normal that i have made it this far.
The uterus hardening in areas are actually contractions, and i've had plenty of those since around week 22. They get stronger and you feel them more and sometimes very frequent. It also has a diagnosis of irritable uterus. Apparently, the dynamic/short cervix and irritable uterus go together.
I can reassure you in that here i am, 34 weeks and very grateful i have made it so far.
I cant reassure you that it wont be causing anxiety. We would have ups and downs, downs mostly after visiting the doctor and being "rushed" to labor and delivery just for a measurement on an ultrasound. I have been monitored 4 times now, once for 24hrs at week 32 and given the steroid shots for lung maturity.
For me, no working out has been a major bummer.
There is light and the end of the tunnel. They usually stop measuring your cervix at 34wks as it just doesn't matter after that, youre either in labor or youre not.
I wish you the best, this forum helps, i too am a first time mom and was nearly certain i would have a nicu baby or just no baby at all.
Cervical length is just a number they used to not measure it at all, but now they keep obsessing..while it does increase your chances of.preterm birth by about a factor of 2 (11% vs 25%, normal cervix vs shot) my best advice is to stay as positive as possible, read success stories (which, btw, there are waaaaay more of than the other way around), and do things that make you feel good. Yes its a about the baby but its also about you and you cant love a baby if you dont take care of yourself!

Bedrest1stTimeMom

• View Profile
Re: first time pregnancy, 21 weeks with dynamic cervix 1.9cm
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018 at 05:44 PM »
HI IGHOPEFUL

I am 22 weeks pregnant and just put on bedrest for a short cervix with funneling..my cervix was 1.4cm at longest. So now I'm home, on bedrest with progesterone suppositories. I have also read a lot of success stories and am keeping the faith. I hope we both make it past 33 weeks to keep our babies cooking!!