Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Back for round 3  (Read 5437 times)

EnglishRose23

• View Profile
Re: Back for round 3
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018 at 12:51 AM »
Thanks. I seem to have settled down to a status quo of light bleeding and heavy cramping. Baby was still showing normal growth on scan. Unfortunately once a week is the only option for the shots. Since I'm doing them at home I could theoretically break up the dose if I was so inclined, but I would never take the risk of going an untested route like that. My husband has been great so far with understanding the need for me to be off my feet, I think he worries as much as I do!

Have things been going smoothly for you and your baby lately?

I may be MIA from the forum for a while after shots start since I can't manage electronics while I have a migraine.

Jadeandrainbowbub

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2018 at 01:54 AM »
That's good your bleeding is only light again. Sucks about the cramping tho! I hope it stops soon. That sounds worrying. I am glad your husband is being a good support for you though. That makes a big difference having support. :) And that is great news that bub  is growing well. That makes sense about the injections.

I have had another scan and a blood test and since that was done, baby has come back as high risk for Downs Syndrome. I have very very low Papp a and they are saying there is a high chance he or she will be Premmie and maybe have Iugr. I was offered an amnio and a  nipt test. We have decided not to do the amnio as the risk of miscarriage is too great, especially with the complications I have had already. We will love our baby regardless. It would be good to find out tho so we can be prepared. Honestly, I amuch more worried about the low Papp a, as I had premature labour with my last, and I didn't want it to happen again!  Only 9 weeks now till viability  tho so that is encouraging. Once  bub gets to 24 weeks I will feel so much better ,I think.

EnglishRose23

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2018 at 04:24 PM »
So sorry to hear about your test results, I'm assuming at this point it is still just a strong possibility as opposed to a definitive diagnosis? I'm also being followed for IUGR because of my uterine abnormality, is your baby still measuring on target at this point?

We opted out of the screenings, because I figured we didn't need one more thing to worry about if any of the results came back as high risk. You do make a good point about the information giving you chance to prepare though.

Not expecting my cramping to stop anytime soon since I haven't had a day without it since 4 weeks. My uterus just seems to be really angry about this whole thing.   Spent a good part of the last 24 hours with a weird pain in addition to the cramps, felt like something tearing in there but it didn't seem to trigger a new bleed so I'm hoping it was nothing. I have pretty bad endometriosis, so it could be some of the things stuck together ripping apart as my uterus expands. My right ovary is glued to my uterine wall so I've been pretty worried about that rupturing as my uterus gets bigger but so far it's hanging in there!

We have made our peace with the fact that this baby will be a preemie, haven't seen a single doctor yet that believes we have even an outside shot at a full term baby, just hoping to make it to viability, and then past the scariest micro-preemie stage, any extra days we get beyond that are a gift.

We will be celebrating with cake at the 24 week mark...hope you will join us on the other side of the ocean ;)

Jadeandrainbowbub

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2018 at 10:29 PM »
Thanks. :) Yeah at the moment it's not definite. Have to wait for more results to know for sure. I kind of wish I had never done the testing now,, because it is another thing to stress about!! You are exactly right. I didn't run expect to have this result though, when I  did the testing. But now I feel like I need to know.

At the moment, baby's growth is tracking on nicely too. Have another scan on Monday, so I am hoping that goes well. I may also find out the gender if bub is in a good position...Hope so! Lol. I am really keen to find out!

Oh no. The endometriosis, your ovary, along with all your cramps etc sounds really painful! It will be worth it in the end tho. :)

Celebrating with cake at 24 weeks is a great idea! I hope to be celebrating alongside you 😀 It's such a big milestone! Hope the time passes quickly for us. Hopefully you will get well past the micropremmie stage. :) Will you be getting steroid shots at 24 weeks? I will be asking for them as soon as possible :)

EnglishRose23

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2018 at 03:05 PM »
so here I go with more pregnancy drama. After going 6 whole days without bleeding, out of nowhere yesterday I started up with painful contractions 3 mins apart. Tried to ride them out, ignore them, lay down drink lots of water and hope they'd go away but they kept up and when they got more painful after 4 hours I finally called my OB and they sent me straight to labor and delivery.  I was still reluctant to go since it meant driving 45 mins through a snowstorm to get to the hospital, but worried that if I ignored them I might miss the window where a rescue cerclage could have helped.

Hospital staff was great, had read my file and reviewed all my recent scans so they were very prepared when I got there. Got me checked in and quickly sent me for an ultrasound to measure cervical length and amniotic fluids and check for bleeds. Thankfully everything looked good on the scan, they gave me the option to stay the night in case things got worse, or go home. I went home and finally around 2am the contractions slowed down and then stopped. I'm exhausted this morning but my uterus is calm right now. I'm pretty depressed how early this is happening, I made it to 18 weeks before contractions started last time so contractions at 16 weeks doesn't bode well for me, I'm worried it will result in another abruption or PPROM or turn into genuine preterm labor. I've a feeling my hospital visit yesterday is going to be the first of many.

One thing I'll share that I was very grateful for; when I'd seen my OB earlier in the week I'd specifically discussed with her what the plan would be if/when I started contracting. I guess usually at this gestation women get sent to the ER for evaluation, but because of my history she added a note to my file that I was to be sent to L&D for any problems instead, this really helped with the stress of it all last night not having to wait for hours in a crowded ER.

Back to the office for a follow-up visit tomorrow, hopefully everything still looks ok then.

OBmom

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2018 at 08:48 AM »
Oh no lady!

Can't believe the stress you went through, 45 min in a snowstorm must seem like a horribly long time.
Great news that you were sent straight to L&D. Waiting for hours in the wrong place at this point could be catastrophic. But thank goodness the team was up-to-par on your records. And it's super news that everything was fine with your CL!
Just out of curiosity: do they start an IV fluid drip for your contractions? Sometimes we do, it's just so much faster than drinking water.
From what I understood from your post, no new bleeding right? That's something to celebrate all on it's own!
I'll be hoping to hear from your follow up appointment. Hope everything's stable and you managed to get some rest.
I also have an ultrasound later today, I'll share the news I get after.

Jadeandrainbowbub

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018 at 08:48 PM »
Oh no! How stressful for you!! I am so glad your bub is ok. That's good that you have good CL and the hospital was well prepared for you tho. I hope you have no more contractions from now on for a good while!  Let us know how your follow up visit goes? :)

EnglishRose23

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2018 at 09:04 PM »
Follow up was uneventful. I'm still cramping but no bleeding, contractions or fluid loss. OB decided against a speculum exam since they are worried even that slight disturbance could set me off again (was the same thing at the hospital, at this point they barely dare to touch me lol). Most of the appointment was just answering my questions about various interventions (I'd need to be transferred to a bigger hospital if a rescue cerclage was indicated, but might not be something they'd do anyway if I'm booming out contractions). Apparently I still need to go to hospital every time contractions start up though since a miscarriage at this stage isn't safe to DIY at home.

I thought the dr would look at me like I was crazy when she asked me what I thought triggered the contractions; my answer, the winter storm. (background here: after 2+ weeks of being stable after PPROMing with my daughter in 2012 I went into labor when a major summer storm rolled in. I wasn't the only one either, L&D was so busy that night they had women curtained off giving birth in the hallways. I had to hold off pushing at 10cm dilated while they got a room ready for me)

My migraines are always super sensitive to changes in barometric pressure, and the night before these contractions started it I was feeling it, super restless, up a lot in the night with nausea and headaches, struggled with migraine aura all morning before I went from cramping to contractions, and once the storm passed things seemed to settle down again. Anyway my OB seemed to agree that this was a possibility, I guess it's something they notice with storms in the L&D ward even if it's not been scientifically proven. Unfortunately there's not much I can do to protect myself from the weather patterns.

OBmom to answer your question, no new bleeding (hooray!), and they didn't put me on an IV drip since I was already super well hydrated, but that is common practice here too. (that's one thing I do well; I track my water consumption throughout the day and increase it if my urine looks even a tiny bit yellow). Good luck with your ultrasound today!

Jadeandrainbowbub

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2018 at 12:19 AM »
That's really good news that you aren't bleeding or having contractions, etc.

I have heard that about storms triggering labour as well. So strange. I hope that you don't have any more storms for a long while!

EnglishRose23

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2018 at 08:54 PM »
Had my anatomy scan today. It was a little early so they have to check a few things on my next scan too, but everything seemed healthy today. Cervical length still normal which is good since painful regular contractions are a daily occurrence for me now usually lasting a few hours at a time. No new bleeds so I've gone a few weeks without losing blood now  ;D

Baby girl was measuring about a week small on everything, which the dr seemed completely unconcerned about. I'm a little more worried since she'd been measuring perfect or a day over for her dates up to this point, and between my many early scans and the fact that we were tracking ovulation when I conceived there isn't a shadow of doubt on my dating. Also concerning for me was the fact that the placenta is completely covering my septum, the dr didn't really have much to say about it, but I'm sure it is not a good thing since there isn't normal blood flow to my septum.

It was bad news on my dogs CT this week so now having to figure out how to manage either end-of-life care for him or taking him a long way for radiation therapy without putting any strain on my pregnancy. No such thing as a good time for a loved pet to get sick but this is definitively a bad time for it to happen.

OBmom

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2018 at 09:21 AM »
Hey English Rose.

Sorry to hear about your dog, such sad news :( It must be hard dealing with that on top of your complicated pregnancy.

I was glad to hear about your baby normal anatomy scan though! I hear your concerns on her growth. I am part of the team that runs the fetal growth restriction program in my center, so I literally have any info you might need on this. Placenta settled on the septum is likely to get less blood flow, and that can limit the baby's development in terms of weight. But the most important thing is not how much she's measuring, but if she's maintaining her regular growth curve. Meaning, she may be a small baby as long as she's consistently small (no "drop in growth centile"). It's a shame the drugs that could potentially help blood flow to your placenta (like enoxaparin and aspirine) are also blood thinners - you're not a candidate because of the SCH, they might restart your bleeds..

Things to go over with your doctor:
- growth scans every two weeks - no point in doing then with less time in between, baby's growth doesn't happen overnight.
- try and have always the same US tech / doctor perform the scans - this improves accuracy and you won't have so much fluctuation from scan to scan.
- ask about your uterine blood flow - they can do Doppler scans of the uterine arteries and see if there's any added risk of fetal growth impairment.
- I don't know if your current weight gain is on target, but consider supplements - high protein / high calories shakes, yogurts, etc.. We have some in powder-form to mix in with your regular food. This is just meant to boost your little girl's uptake. We only recommend this if we start suspecting she won't have the possibility of reaching term.

Anyways, you have a perfect little girl, good cervical length and no new bleeds. There's always something to be grateful for. :) Keep up the good work momma!

Anish

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2018 at 01:23 PM »
Sending hugs and prayers your way. You got this mama :)

EnglishRose23

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2018 at 04:40 PM »
Thanks OBMom, that is really helpful info on baby's growth. Right now I'm scheduled for monthly growth checks but I will ask at my next scan if they think bumping me up to every two weeks would be appropriate. Luckily my weight gain is right on target for now, I am a stress eater so I would be way over the ideal weight gain if I didn't still have some mild nausea keeping me in check!

I'm trying to remind myself that a small baby might actually be a good thing for me; if my deformed uterus has a maximum stretching capacity, then giving birth to  small 32 weeker might be better than giving birth to a normal size 28 weeker for example.

I'll be asking my doctors this question too, but do you reckon if I go long enough without a bleed I might be a candidate for the blood thinners? My practice likes to rotate between drs for appointments, which I don't care for, but I'll see if they can at least schedule me to see the same US tech each time.

reasontohope

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2018 at 02:03 PM »
Before all my cervical length issues, I had a "small" SCH that bled/spotted from weeks 11-16 or so. I was on blood thinners the whole pregnancy because of previous clotting issues, and while my doctors had me reduce the dosage overall and go off entirely for the 4ish days of bright red blood, they never suggested not continuing Lovenox, even while the SCH was still visible on the scans. I settled around 40 mg Lovenox before switching to heparin at around 30 weeks.

OBmom

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2018 at 05:33 PM »
@Reasontohope
I completely agree with the medical decisions. that were taken in your case. Blood thinners can and should be given and maintained throughout pregnancy to prevent potentially fatal complications for the mother (like a pulmonary embolism). This trumps the risk of bleeding or miscarriage due to SCH.

In fetal growth restriction (FGR) however, aspirine is most effective if started up to 16 weeks (that's when the placenta is forming). As for Lovenox - enoxaparin - it's use in FGR is still in the experimental field. We use it because we know it might help, but the studies are still ongoing.