Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: A Message of Strength and Endurance for 2018  (Read 562 times)

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
A Message of Strength and Endurance for 2018
« on: January 01, 2018 at 03:21 PM »
It's not just another week behind you, but an entire year! Anyone surprised that they'll be having a 2018 baby?!?

There's passage from a book called Start with Why that has stuck with me for a few years now. One example from the book is about an expedition to Antarctica, and it made me think immediately of all the bedrest moms I’ve known.

On December 5, 1914, Ernest Shackleton and a crew of twenty-seven men set out for the Weddell Sea on the Endurance, a 350-ton ship that had been constructed with funds from private donors, the British government, and the Royal Geographical Society. … But the crew of the Endurance would never reach the continent of Antarctica. Just a few days out of South Georgia Island in the Southern Atlantic, the ship encountered mile after mile of pack ice, and was soon trapped as winter moved in and with furry. Ice closed around the ship “like an almond in a piece of toffee,” a crew member wrote.

Shackleton and his crew were stranded in the Antarctic for ten months as the Endurance drifted slowly north until the pressure of the ice floes crushed the ship. On November 21, 1915, the crew watched as she sank in the frigid waters of the Weddell Sea. …

Stranded on the ice, the crew boarded their three lifeboats and landed on tiny Elephant Island. There Shackleton left behind all but five of his men and embarked on a hazardous journey across 800 miles of rough sea to find help. Which, eventually, they did.

The book's author, Simon Sinek, goes on to talk about how none of the crew died and how there was no mutiny. Then he shares the ad that Shackleton ran to find and hire his crew, and that is what reminded me of women on bedrest facing a high-risk pregnancy:

“Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.”

I think an ad for pregnancy bedrest would look something like this:

“Women wanted for anxiety-filled journey. Lost wages, bitter emotions, long months of complete boredom, constant worry. Happiness and healthy baby in case of success.”

I know you didn’t answer a want ad, but there is no one I would rather have on the KeepEmCookin ship than you. You are strong in spirit and mind. You believe in beating the odds. And for months on end, you don’t give up.

Now let's hear some weekly updates, and your thoughts on the year ahead.

Keep 'em cookin',
Angela

See you at the Live Chat tomorrow at 2 pm EST/11 am PST! http://www.keepemcookin.com/live-chat/