Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 32 weeks- Dad checking in  (Read 428 times)

GJCB_dad

• View Profile
32 weeks- Dad checking in
« on: January 04, 2018 at 03:18 PM »
Hi,

My wife is 32 weeks 4 days pregnant with a baby girl. This is our first pregnancy! It has been quite the roller coaster; feelings of joy and excitement coupled with the daily worries of what is and is not normal.

A little background: I was born small, 5lbs at 38 weeks. Currently, our baby girl is measuring very small (2 lbs 11 ounces at 30 week scan). During our last non stress test, there were some decelerations in the heartbeat that our OB was concerned about, so they sent us to Labor and Delivery. Well... we just got home from a 6 night stay for “extended heart rate monitoring”. It was miserable. My lovely wife is very active (lots of yoga, spin classes) and spending all that time in bed was very difficult for her mentally. She has also been struggling with prenatal anxiety/depression, which is new for both of us. She was told to stay home and relax (basically bed rest) until our next appointment (next Wednesday). While happy to be home, she is unable to work (due to the nature of her job) and it’s really hard that she cannot participate in the activities she would like to. On top of this she doesn’t have a huge friend net that she feels comfortable leaning on/venting with. She is thinking about starting on Zoloft, per her OB and therapist recommendation. I’m doing all I can to keep her positive but its been a difficult experience so far. Has anyone else had experience with prenatal depression? Would love to hear your stories and positive vibes. I’ll keep updating as time goes on- we are trying to keep our little girl cooking as long as possible!

« Last Edit: January 04, 2018 at 03:22 PM by GJCB_dad »

GJCB_dad

• View Profile
Re: 32 weeks- Dad checking in
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018 at 05:40 PM »
Hi All,

Quick update: Wife is currently 34 W 5 days! She is still having good and not-so-good days emotionally (more good!), but has opted not to start Zoloft. She was cleared to return to work so she has been listening to her body and doing 4-6 hours a day, along with mild exercise 2-3 days a week in the evening. At our 32 W growth scan our baby girl weighed in at 3lb 12 ounces, an entire pound since last measurement! We have another growth scan next week and are hoping to see her jump past 4 lbs!  Also, the past two non-stress tests have shown no deceleration in heart rate, so we’ve had the pleasure of heading home rather than spending more time in the Labor and Delivery unit. While baby is still measuring below the 10th percentile, she looks healthy. I hope to bring another positive update, with an updated weight, towards the end of next week. Until then, I wish everyone well and as always, Keep Em Cookin!

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: 32 weeks- Dad checking in
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018 at 02:09 PM »
Wow! I am so happy to hear that things are moving in the right direction. Definitely let us know how the next appointment went.

I really hope that being back around other people at work has helped her mood. Does she have any old friends she could call? I know, it almost seems strange to call people these days, but I think it will really be a pick-me-up. Or a family member? And as far as venting, we are definitely here for her.  ;)

Also, if there are times she needs a pity party, she should go for it. Sometimes when you hold back your feelings it makes it worse. So if she needs to complain or cry, that's okay. And please know that if she needs a pity party, it doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong or not doing enough. It seems for many dads they can feel helpless during this time. It sounds like you are a wonderful husband and dad.

Let us know how this past week has been. Positive thoughts to all of you...