Stay Social. Stay Sane.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Author Topic: Panic at 28 weeks, short cervix and funneling  (Read 71 times)

Babyboy32518

• View Profile
Panic at 28 weeks, short cervix and funneling
« on: January 04, 2018 at 12:37 PM »
I am 28w and 4d today. My cervix continues to shorten weekly, this week it measured 1.6 with funneling. My doctor feels my cervix is not dialiated at this time and I have not lost my mucus plug. However I am having regular contractions every 2-4 minutes so I was put on medication to stop contractions. I receive steroid shots for his lung develop this week as well.  In addition I take procardia once a day and progesterone suppositories. I am in a panic and was hoping to hear some positive stories as I pray each day that this little guy will stay in until week 37.

reasontohope

• View Profile
Re: Panic at 28 weeks, short cervix and funneling
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018 at 03:13 PM »
Hi! You can read my story here: http://forum.keepemcookin.com/index.php?topic=4344.0 but by 28 weeks I was already down to 6 mm (they never really clearly talked to me about funneling, maybe to avoid scaring me), and I made it all the way to 36 weeks 3 days. I got a healthy take home baby! No NICU time.

1.6 cm sounds great to me for 28 weeks! I know it's not, of course, but if you're cervix is stable or steadily shortening at only 1-2 mm per week, you've got a great chance of making it to 37 weeks.

Do you have a pessary? It might not be too late to get one. I went into labor very soon after having mine removed, and I think it made a big difference.

Otherwise, just try to hang in there. So many of us have been in your place. There have been tragedies and outcomes no mother should have to bear, and there have also been wonderful success stories, like mine.

One more note: my MFM team gave me a round of applause when I made it 28 weeks! That's the huge milestone. Long term disabilities are much less likely after 28 weeks, and become rare after 32. You can do this!