Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Emergent Cercalge at 19 weeks  (Read 107 times)

jmjimene

• View Profile
Emergent Cercalge at 19 weeks
« on: June 11, 2018 at 10:54 PM »
Hello Everyone,

So thankful to have found this group, it has definitely been encouraging to read other's stories while trying to stay positive.

This is my first pregnancy and just a little over three weeks ago we went in for our anatomy scan when the Doctor noticed that my cervix was at a 0. I was about 2-3 cm dilated and membranes were exposed. They rushed me to the hospital where after consulting with the doctor we decided we would try to put in a cerclage. They checked for infection etc. started me on antibiotics and medication to stop any contractions. The also said they would monitor overnight to see what my cervix would do. Luckily the next morning my cervix measured 1.2 so they decided to go ahead with the cerclage. I had an epidural and the procedure went well but the doctor did mention that my cervix was very short and he put the cerclage in as far as he could. The good thing was that we didn't have to worry about him having to push the membranes back in as they had gone back in overnight.

The recovery was pretty smooth I didn't really feel much to be honest just had some bleeding which is to be expected. They sent me home the following day on pretty strict bed rest. My doctor has me come in weekly to check my length the first check it was about 1.8 cm so they gave me progesterone suppositories. The second check it went to 3.9 and we were ecstatic thinking that the progesterone must really be working. This last visit it had gone back down to about 1.3 with funneling all the way to the stitch. I was pretty devastated seeing that. 

Doctor says I have a dynamic cervix. I am now 22+6 and just trying to stay focused on the goals of 24,28, 32 etc...but I've found it so incredibly difficult to stay positive and feel as though everything my body does it not normal. I honestly had no feelings of contractions prior to my cervix dilating and was shocked that I didn't feel anything. I also feel like the progesterone has increased my discharge so much that I am always questioning if it is discharge or amniotic fluid! Thanks for reading, sorry for the long post! I really enjoy reading everyone else's updates!

Lauren

• View Profile
Re: Emergent Cercalge at 19 weeks
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018 at 03:02 AM »
Welcome to the group!

I can completely relate to your situation. A little background about me: we had a previous loss at 24 weeks due to undiagnosed incompetent cervix. It all started when I had a gush of greenish mucusy discharge. We immediately drove to the hospital.  When I was examined at the hospital, I was 2cm dilated with bulging membranes and no measurable cervix. I had absolutely no contractions or indications of labour. For this reason, they confidently diagnosed me with incompetent cervix. They transferred me to another hospital where there was a doctor who was comfortable doing a cerclage under those conditions. By the time I reached the second hospital, there was a trace amount of amniotic fluid in my discharge. We were unable to proceed with the cerclage due to that. My cervix continued to dilate over the next few days and we delivered 5 days later. We provided compassionate care to our beautiful boy and he passed away in my arms 5 hours later.

I’m currently on my second pregnancy. I received a preventative cerclage at 13+5. By 16 weeks, my cervix had shortened to 2.4cm with funneling and evidence of amniotic sludge. By 18 weeks I was around 1cm and funnelled to the stitch. At this point I demanded another intervention. I felt that I needed to do whatever possible to keep this little one in. After much deliberation, my OBs agreed to place a pessary ring. I have not received any vaginal ultrasounds to measure my cervix since the placement of the pessary - the information was making me way too anxious and wouldn’t change our course of action anyways. Instead, I have asked the ultrasound tech to let me know if I am stable or not stable. I’m happy to say that I have been stable since the placement of the pessary and will be 30 weeks on Thursday!! We certainly didn’t think we’d make it this far and are completely ecstatic.

Like you, I am also on progesterone. I find that I have several different types of discharge. First, I often have white flakes in my urine. I also often get milky discharge throughout the day. Sometimes my discharge is more chalky and dry. I sometimes find that when I insert the progesterone that I get a gush of liquid that will saturate a liner. Always, this liquid has a chalky residue in the center. I ended up in L&D several times due to uncertainty, worried that it was amniotic fluid. Tests have been negative every time. I ended up purchasing some PH strips to help ease my mind - amniotic fluid has a much higher PH than regular vaginal discharge. I know my baseline having tested after a visit to L&D, so it helps to ease my mind. Word of caution, if you decide to use PH strips, they’re not 100% accurate, so you need to use them with caution, looking for other signs of labour and leaking. When in doubt, head to the hospital!

If you are leaking amniotic fluid, it will either come as a gush or will gradually saturate a pad several times a day, or will wet your leg. It will be watery, but not milky.

There is a group chat on this website tomorrow at 2pm EST. Since I’m also on bedrest, I’m there every week! Would be a great place to connect if you’d like to talk!

Lastly, there is also a Facebook group for incompetent cervix. Alongside this forum, this has been a wonderful source of support.

Hope to see you on tomorrow’s chat!

jmjimene

• View Profile
Re: Emergent Cercalge at 19 weeks
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018 at 01:11 AM »
Thank you so much for sharing Lauren! So sorry to hear about your loss.

I will have to look into those PH strips!! Congrats on almost hitting 30 weeks!! You're almost there!  :)