Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Bedrest in another country - really need insight!!!!  (Read 534 times)

WaitingonCam

• View Profile
Bedrest in another country - really need insight!!!!
« on: October 14, 2018 at 03:08 PM »
Hi everyone,
My name is Michelle and I am 30 weeks pregnant today. Sorry if this is long but I will try to get as much info in as I can so you ladies can help. I know no one is a doctor but my hubby and I are losing our minds and just need reassurance I guess.
At 28 weeks we left for Greece for a babymoon. 2 days prior I had the go from my doc. This is our first pregnancy and I have had all necessary scans and tests and nothing nothing ever came up. I was told I was totally safe.
Flash forward 5 days in to the trip and I start getting cramps and feeling like I have period cramps. I email my doc and she says to be safe and get checked. We are now in santorini so we find a private doctor. He does all the scans. Baby is okay and I have very very very small contractions; what he says he isn’t worried about. He then says my cervix is shortened to 2.26cm and I’m funneling. He drives us to Emergency in santorini where the doctor redoes all the tests and says the babies head is also low.
My doctor back home in Montreal Canada is aware and says to basically listen to the doctors here.
I am administered steroid shots and progesterone magnesium and meds for contractions.
I go on strict strict bedrest for 2 days
2 days later I get re-evaluated and I’m told nothing has changed so there is no way we can fly home to Montreal. I  am then sent by military plane to Crete where they have an NICU and they treat high risk pregnancies and all of the tests are done again.
It’s now been 3 days. I am in a room of 6 other women, hooked up to IVs only allowed to shower for 5 mins and given shots and meds every few hours. My husband is sleeping on a plastic chair. We are told everyday is a blessing and that we will essentially deliver here.
We will look in to a rental for hubby to sleep nights and so friends can start shipping things for the baby and for after delivery but essentially this means that one week ago I was safe and everything was fine to today I am delivering in Crete alone and likely spending 2-6 thousand dollars a day on NICU care once I deliver? We have private insurance and still trying to find out our rights but if they don’t cover this it means a bill of $800,000 approx when we get home. That means bankruptcy...
is this really my life right now? The doctors are barely even acknowledging us and just keep saying baby is doing great. I have great amniotic fluid his heart is stable etc but the funneling the shortened cervix and his head low means I can’t do anything but lay here and hope to not deliver.
Anyone else have any experience with anything I just metioned? Bed rest in a hospital in another country? Insurance? 2.2cm at 30 weeks? Am I mentally preparing to deliver any second?!
Thanks ladies! So lost scared and confused alone xoxoxox

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: Bedrest in another country - really need insight!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018 at 10:52 PM »
You're in a really tough position. I know you want to be as safe as possible. I think you need to talk to your OB. Let his/her office know that you need at least a 15 minute phone call to talk this through. Like you said, we can't provide any medical advice. My suggestion is to ask your OB what the standard procedure in Canada would be. Would it be the same as the treatment you are receiving now?

In the U.S., you wouldn't be put on hospital bedrest at 30 weeks with a 2.26 cervix unless you had bleeding or leaking fluid, or very high blood pressure. They would tell you to take it easy/lay down at home and call them if you were to continue to have contractions. You would NOT be hooked up to an IV, and you wouldn't be given any shots every few hours. You might be put on a medication that helps reduce contractions, but ONLY if that is an issue. Also, you have the right to refuse the IV.

PLEASE PLEASE call your doctor. You doctor MUST tell you what s/he would do if you should up at his or her office with the same symptoms. Has s/he talked to the doctors in Greece? And received ALL test results? Is your doctor concerned about you flying? How long is the flight? Could you stay at a hotel nearby? Again, I can't provide medical advice. Only you and your doctor can decide what is best. Let me know how it goes. Sending prayers.

Angela

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018 at 04:55 PM »
Hi, Michelle.
I've been thinking about you lots. How are you doing? Did you talk to your OB?

WaitingonCam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018 at 05:03 PM »
Hello. Thanks for checking in. I’m stable but my OB says to follow whatever they say here. I’m sort of dissapointed in her. She’s the one who gave me the clear and I feel she’s abandoned me. I bet she can’t legally say get on a plane and leave otherwise I could probably sue her for malpractice if something happened but I wish she would be more transparent with me about what her protocol would be etc. I’m pretty much stuck giving birth in Crete alone with no family no friends in a hospital that is crammed with 15 people in a room at times and you don’t even get to have your husband in the room when you deliver. Sucks!

Angela

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018 at 06:11 PM »
That's horrible. What about staying at a hotel nearby instead? You could have care when you need it, but not be as trapped as you are. It would likely be less expensive and you could spend time with your husband. Also, can you call your insurance company and ask them what their protocol would be? Please, please call them.

Are you having any contractions?

Mamaato

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018 at 10:27 PM »
Wow. This must be a tough one. I am just wondering if your doctors will okay your flying business class with those flat beds. Maybe that can be useful in getting back to Canada

jesswalker27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018 at 05:30 PM »
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry you're going through this! I unfortunately have no experience with this but want you to know I'm thinking about you and wishing you all the best