Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Unexplainable spontaneous preterm labor?  (Read 694 times)

wren

• View Profile
Unexplainable spontaneous preterm labor?
« on: January 15, 2018 at 06:54 PM »
Has anyone else experienced preterm labor without an explanation?

Despite extensive tests on my placenta, blood work, an autopsy etc, my doctors haven't been able to give me a reason for why I went into preterm labor at almost 28 weeks.

After a healthy pregnancy I went into spontaneous labor at 27+4 weeks. My labor could not be stopped and I delivered my son within 8 hours of waking up with what felt like mild period-like cramps. My son weighed 2.4 pounds and was healthy but for his preterm birth. He died of complications relating to preterm birth when he was 7 days old.

The hardest thing has been not knowing why it happened and what I can do to to carry to term in a subsequent pregnancy.

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: Unexplainable spontaneous preterm labor?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018 at 12:31 AM »
I am so very very sorry about the loss of your son. It must be painfully frustrating to not know the cause after all of those tests. In any case, there was nothing you could have done differently. 

With having a healthy pregnancy in the past, it seems like your chances of going to full term would be likely. One thought I had is that there is a blood test that can predict your risk of preterm birth with great accuracy. You have to take the test during your pregnancy, so you wouldn't be able to find out before getting pregnant. That could help you to know if preterm delivery in your recent pregnancy was an unusual occurrence. https://www.pretrm.com/

Again, I am terribly sorry for your loss. I'm saying a prayer for strength and healing. (((hugs)))

wren

• View Profile
Re: Unexplainable spontaneous preterm labor?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018 at 01:09 AM »
Angela,

Thank you for your kind response. I've done so much research on preterm labor, and haven't come across this test yet, but will bring it up with my doctor. I am currently 16 weeks pregnant with my second child, and it has been very stressful.

Thank you.