Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Complete bedrest at 33 weeks for mushy cervix  (Read 480 times)

LMW

• View Profile
Complete bedrest at 33 weeks for mushy cervix
« on: January 29, 2018 at 06:24 PM »
Hi friends: First time poster here.

I'm pregnant with baby #2 (I have a four-year-old son). I've had hyperemesis gravidarum the whole time and am on Zofran to keep the food and vomit in. Still nauseated 24/7. My midwives put me on bedrest last week at 33 weeks because I complained of low period-like cramps. When they checked my cervix, it was totally mushy, like jelly. They said, the baby is still high, which is the only reason it's not coming out. Like, if the head starts pushing on the cervix, I'll fully dilate and the baby will be born. My goal is to make it to 37 weeks for baby's development. And also so I can have another planned home birth. I'm still cramping. And having tons of Braxton-Hicks. Baby is moving a ton, heart sounds good. They said it's too late for the stitch. Of course, if I start leaking any kind of fluid or if labor starts in earnest, I'll go to the hospital. Some friends who have gone in at 33 - 34 have had the docs tell them they won't stop labor.

Curious on a few fronts: 1. Does anyone has success stories of making it to 37 with a mushy cervix (they didn't give me percentage or measurements)? 2. Does anyone have stories of NICU stays at 33/34 weeks? 3. How do you keep your back and butt from killing you while on complete bedrest? Thanks, everyone!

Bridget1213

• View Profile
Re: Complete bedrest at 33 weeks for mushy cervix
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018 at 08:19 PM »
Hello! I saw your reply to my post and thought I would return the favor! I think its strange they put you on bedrest for "mushy cervix" without any measurements or other serious PTL symptoms like bad contractions. Sometimes doctor opinions are so subjective! It drives me crazy! People can walk around being dilated to 3cm for weeks and not go into labor. Have you lost your mucus plug? Did she say if you were dilating at all?
I have two friends who delivered around 30 weeks for various reasons and both their babies are thriving almost a year later. My OB tells me that they usually do not stop labor after 34 weeks for the simple fact that most babies born at that time are absolutely fine. They'll be in NICU for awhile as feeders and growers but definitely not the same medical concerns as having a 26 weeker. Of course its always preferable to have a full term baby, but if you have to have a preemie, 34-36 weeks is the preemie you want! I'll be 34 on Sunday, and feel I will be breathing a lot easier then. After 34, every day that passes will feel like a bonus. So try to enjoy this time as much as you can given the situation! Keep in touch!

LMW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018 at 04:31 PM »
Thanks for this, Bridget! I think I have just been feeling lonely and worried! I should have specified in my first post that I was having contractions and bad cramping, which is why they checked my cervix. But, yes, so much is unknown! I am 34 weeks as of yesterday. So, I'm hoping to make it to 37 still. But, you're right. Lucky are we who make it this far, right?

I have been trying to schedule friends to bring over lunch during the day when I'm home alone. And trying not to feel too guilty that I can't play with my son (age 4) or help my husband in any way.

Thanks again for your words of encouragement. I really appreciate it. Hang in there, mama! We're close!

Bridget1213

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018 at 03:58 AM »
How are you doing, LMW?