Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 29 weeks and funneling cervix  (Read 579 times)

Ksg23

• View Profile
29 weeks and funneling cervix
« on: February 03, 2018 at 09:34 AM »
I am relatively new to this forum and following quite a few posts for sometime now. But this is the 1st time I am posting something...
So I was diagnosed with IC during the 20th week when I went for my anatomy scan. This is my second pregnancy and I have no background of IC or PTL in the past.

Anyway during the 20th week scan my CL was 2.84 with a slight opening of the uterus. Doctor performed immediate surgery and I was put on bed rest. Then the amniotic fluid leak started...had to stay for a week in the hospital for things to settle down. Since then have had 2 rounds of UTI, severe case of urine incontinence etc and have been on strict home bed rest.
The good news was that the CL went up to 3.5 and stayed still with no funneling, effacing etc.

However, when I went for my growth scan at 29th week, doctor discovered that the uterus has started funneling. It was 8mm opened up and cervix length at 3.3cm. Again sent home on strict bed rest after two steroid shots for babies lung development as doctor is worried about PTL.

I am quite worried now...since at 29 weeks, docs can’t do much about the funnel. Also wondering that how did the funnel start despite the Cerclage?

Looking for some success stories where mothers have made it to full term even with funneling of the uterus.

SamRose

• View Profile
Re: 29 weeks and funneling cervix
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018 at 09:02 PM »
The cervix and funneling can be dynamic. Mine fluctuated a bit after the cerclage was placed but never dipped down to the short length it was prior to the cerclage. As long as the cervix itself stays closed (which is what the cerclage is helping to do) I wouldn’t worry about the funneling too much. It sucks but stay off your feet and keep monitoring, that’s all you can do at this point.

Good news is that if you are like me as you get into the 30s you will start feeling increased relief each week you stay pregnant.

Ksg23

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018 at 11:16 AM »
Thank you SamRose...yes my length is higher than the original Cerclage time.
Which week are you on now? Have you been on strict bed rest or modified?
I have been on bed rest since 20th week, but off late the pressure on the abdomen is too much. Can neither sleep nor sit up...the baby is already head down as my last Scan showed. So this increased pressure on abdomen and pelvis is making it so difficult.

SamRose

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018 at 07:19 PM »
I just hit 35 weeks today. I was on strict bedrest from weeks 8-12 due to a bleed and then modified bedrest followed by strict bedrest from week 20-33 after my emergency cerclage and now I’m mostly only on house arrest. I can do things again but need to take lots of breaks to put my feet up and monitor if there are any changes.

Baby hasn’t turned yet so no extra pressure. We check again in 2 weeks when the cerclage comes out, hopefully he’s turned by then.

Ksg23

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018 at 04:29 AM »
Wow! Congrats on making it to 35weeks. All the best mama...and keep us posted :)