Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 18 weeks with a preventative cerclage  (Read 1857 times)

MissKBoss

• View Profile
18 weeks with a preventative cerclage
« on: February 11, 2018 at 05:04 PM »
Hey Ladies I'm fairly new here My name is Kim. I have had 2 previous 2nd trimester losses. In 2012 when i was 18 weeks i noticed i was  leaking, I went to the hospital where they discovered that i had no fluid.  I delivered a baby girl named Lauren.  They did not give me a reason why it happened and since it was my first loss it took me by shock obviously. 

Fast forward to 2016 I got pregnant again and OB recommended a preventative cerclage but because i was never told why the first loss happened and i had 3 healthy full term babies in 1998, 2002 & 2009 I thought it mustve just been a fluke so i took the monitor my cervix bi weekly approach. (bad idea)  I went to a ultrasound at 14 weeks and my cervix was 4cm went in again at 16 weeks and i was 1cm dilated with bulging membranes.  I immediately was sent to the hospital for a rescue cerclage.  Everything was fine from 16-20 weeks i was being seen bi weekly for cervical length checks.  By 20 weeks i was dilated again so they took out the first stitch and did an emergency cerclage and put in a 2nd stitch. from 20-22 weeks it seemed ok but then i started having snotty looking discharge which the hospital told me was normal (little did i know it was far from normal) by 23.3 weeks i passed a clot, rushed to the hospital thinking my cervix was ripping and they told me i was in PTL and had no fluid again. I had them cut the stitch and I delivered my baby girl Kimiah that evening.  I did a full autopsy on her and the placenta come to find out i had an infection.

As scary as it is we tried again in October 2017 and got pregnant.  This time i am going to the best hospital in Toronto which is where i'm from and seeing the high risk clinic there.  My pregnancy plan- antibiotics (erythromycin) 4x daily starting from BFP, Progesterone, baby aspirin, probiotic, cranberry pill, and preg vit folic 5.  I would also get weekly scans starting at 13 weeks, cerclage by 14 weeks and regular urine and vaginal swabs for infection.  I got the preventative cerclage at 14 weeks 1 day since then my CL have been 3.5, 3.7, 4.0, 3.5 then most recently 18 weeks went down to 3.0.  This scared me.  I pray when i go in this week its back up.  Since getting the cerclage its never been so short.  Praying so hard it doesn't get shorter.  I'm terrified. So here i am put myself on modified bedrest because i am paranoid all i can think about is all the bad stuff that has happened to me.  Trying so hard to remain positive and thank god i have this website where you ladies understand what i'm going through and can give me hope to get through.

xoxo
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018 at 05:08 PM by MissKBoss »

Freshview

• View Profile
Re: 18 weeks with a preventative cerclage
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018 at 12:33 AM »
Thinking of you and wishing you well. Fingers crossed for >3cm on your next scan

MissKBoss

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018 at 07:45 PM »
Thank You, I'm so nervous :-\

MissKBoss

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018 at 03:16 AM »
Update

Went to my appointment today and cervix is 2.5 closed so another week and it shortened again  :'( :'( I pray the stitch holds and i make it to at least 32 weeks but preferable full term  This is so scary.  I hate this.  Why can't i have a normal pregnancy

Freshview

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018 at 03:26 AM »
How many weeks are you now? 20?

MissKBoss

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018 at 04:29 PM »
I'll be 19 weeks tomorrow :'(

OBmom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018 at 11:46 AM »
Happy 19w missK!

I know it's scary. But trust me, 25mm with a stitch in place is right around perfect  ;)
With a cerclage, in my place of work (big MFM centre in Lisbon) we don't admit patients to the ward unless they're down to 5mm or PPROM.

Have faith and try (try!) to take it easy.

CurlyJ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018 at 02:18 PM »
Wow, we are in the same situation but you are 5 weeks ahead of me. I lost my 2 girls at 18w in 2016 and 21w in 2017. I am 14 weeks now and had a preventative cerclage placed last week and given Endometrin. To keep pressure off my cervix, I've put myself on bed rest since 11 weeks getting up only once a day for 10 minutes to have a bowel movement and clean up myself. I use a bed pan to urinate and get help from DH and family with meals. To avoid infection, I keep my legs open with no underwear, drink 4 liters of water a day and have natural yogurt daily. For exercise, I do leg slides, full body stretches, and ankle and neck rolls. For relaxation, I play hours of pregnancy meditation videos on YouTube or read high risk success stories online. Before I know it each day is over. So far, bubba and I are doing great and hope to see 32 weeks. I also have a bicornuate uterus so I will be having a C section. So, I wish you and your baby all the best, my dear.

MissKBoss

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018 at 04:28 AM »
Happy 19w missK!

I know it's scary. But trust me, 25mm with a stitch in place is right around perfect  ;)
With a cerclage, in my place of work (big MFM centre in Lisbon) we don't admit patients to the ward unless they're down to 5mm or PPROM.

Have faith and try (try!) to take it easy.

Thanks that gives me hope.  i'm definitely trying my best to take it easy.

MissKBoss

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018 at 04:30 AM »
Wow, we are in the same situation but you are 5 weeks ahead of me. I lost my 2 girls at 18w in 2016 and 21w in 2017. I am 14 weeks now and had a preventative cerclage placed last week and given Endometrin. To keep pressure off my cervix, I've put myself on bed rest since 11 weeks getting up only once a day for 10 minutes to have a bowel movement and clean up myself. I use a bed pan to urinate and get help from DH and family with meals. To avoid infection, I keep my legs open with no underwear, drink 4 liters of water a day and have natural yogurt daily. For exercise, I do leg slides, full body stretches, and ankle and neck rolls. For relaxation, I play hours of pregnancy meditation videos on YouTube or read high risk success stories online. Before I know it each day is over. So far, bubba and I are doing great and hope to see 32 weeks. I also have a bicornuate uterus so I will be having a C section. So, I wish you and your baby all the best, my dear.

Thank You.  Please keep me updated on your progress  Hope we both make it to term.  I just keep reminding myself this is just temporary and will be soon worth it in the end.  This is definitely my last child.

JayneElizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018 at 01:04 PM »
Hi Kim,

What kind of progesterone are you taking? I bet since you got the circlage much earlier, thing will go better this time around. Happy 19 wk. I know every day is excruciating. Remember, every day counts; that's what they kept telling us, and I held on to that and it helped. I've been on hospitalized bed rest for 38 days, just over 5 weeks. I had an emergency circlage at 22 & 5. I was 3cm dilated, with exposed membranes. Today we are 28 weeks. We've had 4 losses (18 weeks and under) and never had a successful pregnancy. Sending all my positive vibes to you. You're in Toronto, that's amazing. That's definitely the right place. I have a lot of anxiety, that we are in Newfoundland. We are in St. John's, but I did a lot of begging for them to medivac us to a larger centre incase something went wrong, but they just don't do that unless there's a serious prob with babe. We are lucky we live in St. John's, if we hadn't, if we lived in a smaller community, this would have been our 5th loss. Hugs to you.

Jayne

MissKBoss

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018 at 02:34 PM »
Hey Jayne thanks for your reply. So sorry for your losses, I know how heartbreaking they are.  I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy,  No one should have to go through that.   I'm currently on Progesterone suppositories once at night.  I'm go weekly to the high risk clinic downtown for cervical length checks and i'm going to ask them if i should be on anything else.  I've noticed i've been getting brackton hicks lately and i'm paranoid its doing something to my cervix (hope not)  maybe i have irritable uterus.  I don't know but i want them to give me something to relax it.  I'm still too early to be having that with a short cervix.  Must be such a relief to make it to 28 weeks.  You are way past the viability stage.  I can't wait to make it to my goals 24 weeks then 28 weeks and so on.  Thoughts and prayers you make it to term.   Keep me updated God bless

MissKBoss

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018 at 03:52 AM »
Update: I'm 19 weeks 5 days and had another CL check today plus my anatomy scan. My cervix went from being 2.5 cm last week up to 2.8cm today Thank you Jesus.  I am one happy mama.  Gave me so much more hope then i had last week.  Pray it continues to go well until i'm full term. 

JayneElizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018 at 11:19 PM »
For it to grow, you must have Dynamic Cervix too (that's something we have in common!) . We were diagnosed in Week 25 or 26, and some of the OBs here had never heard of it. I'm so glad you are at 19, before you know it, you will hit 23. I do feel so relieved that we are 28 & 4 now. The furthest we made it (prior to this pregnancy) was 18 wks.

They aren't checking our cervical length any more, because they say it won't change the treatment plan (bed rest forever in hospital), but at Week 24, we were at 3mm, and then at Wk 25 they found out it was 9mm, that's when we got diagnosed with Dynamic Cervix (increasing and decreasing instead of the normal, shortening). They told us that was the best possible thing that could have happened to us, given our situation, so I think it's definitely a good thing.

2.8 is fantastic! We came in at 5 mm, and had our emergency circlage, it went up to 1.6, and then decreased to 1.3, then 0.3, then back up to 0.9 (9mm), and we have made it from 22 & 5, to 28 & 4, so I think you have all the reasons to be very optimistic. Feet up momma <3 Bed rest is actually the worst, but I keep telling myself I can make it a little bit longer. You will too. hugs.

MissKBoss

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018 at 03:58 AM »
Thanks hun.  Yay your past 28 weeks.  such a big milestone. So happy for you.  I can't wait to be able to say that.  I'm 20 weeks 1 day today....half way there.  Hope these next few months fly by for both of us.