Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Keeping entertained!  (Read 723 times)

EnglishRose23

• View Profile
Keeping entertained!
« on: February 16, 2018 at 11:51 PM »
Thought I'd share this since it's one distraction I've been enjoying while stuck in bed, I've downloaded a few retro computer games I remember from my childhood, enjoying the nostalgia while I play them (for me little big adventure 1 & 2 and Abe's Exodus). I found them on www.gog.com but I'm sure there are other vendors out there too.

What were your favorite computer games when you were younger?

Sometimes it's hard to feel like you are accomplishing anything during long days on bedrest, I've been doing constructive things too (like our taxes, cleaning out emails) but video games definitely give you that instant and artificial sense of accomplishment for your mental health when you level up, beat the bad-guy etc.

CurlyJ

• View Profile
Re: Keeping entertained!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018 at 11:15 PM »
I'm 14 weeks and have been on bed rest since 11 weeks. I thought working on the computer like crazy would have passed the time quickly but each day felt like a week. Yesterday and today I streamed movies non stop and the days flew by with me feeling light and happy. As a teen, I was a Mortal Kombat, Mario Kart and Donkey Kong Country fanatic so you gave me an idea to entertain myself more when I get tired of movies. Thanks and all the best to you.

EnglishRose23

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018 at 02:43 PM »
I think I remember Mortal Kombat, but not the other two, I'll check them out :-) I just turned 14 weeks too so right there with you. Viability still feels so far away at this point it is hard to keep the mind busy on other things so I'll take any entertainment I can get  ;D

OBmom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018 at 07:18 PM »
Unreasonable addiction to Candy Crush here.
Not proud  ;D

JayneElizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018 at 07:27 PM »
Think i could get a tiny tv and my Nintendo Wii into my hospital room.... ?  Thanks for getting me thinking about this. I need to stop with the Netflix.

EnglishRose23

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018 at 12:09 AM »
JayneElizabeth I don't see why not! Go for it, and let me know if the hospital agrees :-)

nycmomma

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018 at 04:45 PM »
Was addicted to candy crush. My girls turned me on to homescapes, similar game but i get to decorate as well. I shamelessly make them send me lives.

OBmom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018 at 11:05 AM »
Also, recent update, online card games!
I started this week, and I'm having a ball just trying to remember the rules I learned as a child (my Grandma taught me all sorts).
Plus, it gives a small amount of joy to all the retired German friends who get to kick my a**  ;D ;D ;D

JayneElizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018 at 11:25 PM »
I've stopped asking and do what I want, lol, I'm a terrible patient. Not really, i let them poke and prod me , and very often i'm sure is not necessary. Today marks 6 weeks in hospital for us, I was going to get my partner to bring in the Wii this week, but he is exhausted running back and forth from work/hospital/home to feed our kitties, and I realized I don't have a little tv to hook it up to, so is an expense, when i'm after literally just having to stop working (& i don't have mat leave). Sooo. financially, we need to tighten our belts, i'm not sure I can run out and get a little tv. Maybe... maybe i can. Our wifi was down at the hospital :( and i've been off this for a few days, hoping it doesn't go down again. WIFI not working is so depressing. At least if I were home, we'd have tv & internet, but then I tell myself, good air in, bad air out, at least if something happens we are here. Hoping nothing happens though, and he stays in. 28 & 4 today <3

CurlyJ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018 at 01:31 PM »
I used to play a lot of Candy Crush until I discovered Alphabetty, also made by King, and similar to Bookworm. Alphabetty keeps me busy and I learn new words. When I run out of lives, I go back to Candy Crush until Alphabetty is ready for me again ;D When I get sick of my phone, I write in my journal. Since the page space of the day is limited, I only write about pregnancy symptoms of the day and notable occurrences. I use my voice recorder to blab about everything else to clear my head since this can be a very frustrating period. I usually delete the recording right after because I say a lot of cruel things about people who annoy me and I wouldn't want anyone to get their hands on that. Then it's back to movies, listening to music or staring at the wall.

SilentStorm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018 at 04:05 PM »
Oooh, good idea!  That reminds me I received an Atari Flashback for Christmas several years ago. Going to have to send hubby on a search when he has the time. That could be a fun way to pass the time - about as retro as video games get!

Lauren

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018 at 04:30 PM »
I love, love, love listening to podcasts while I play the various games that I've downloaded.
I wish I could narrow my list down to my top 3, but I love too many of them.

Criminal
99% Invisible
Serial
This is Love
Stuff You Should Know
Under the Influence

They're all so good and have so many episodes that it will take me forever to get through all of them!