Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 28 Wks (Emergency Circlage at 22&5) Bed Rest in Hospital  (Read 471 times)

JayneElizabeth

• View Profile
28 Wks (Emergency Circlage at 22&5) Bed Rest in Hospital
« on: February 23, 2018 at 11:37 PM »
Hi Everyone, I'm Jayne, I joined last week but didn't do an intro post.

My partner; Sheldon & I have had 4 previous losses (at 18 wks & prior) and were diagnosed with unexplained recurrent loss. We had lost all hope, but decided we wouldn't prevent pregnancy and got pregnant with this baby (a boy, we are naming Elijah). I had a backache on Jan. 13th, and came into emerg. and later that day, found out our cervical length was 0.5 when the minimum for 22 weeks was 2.5 (so 5 mm -- EEP). They told us before we had the surgery that i'd be on bed rest at home, but after surgery they said things were so bad, that I had to be on bed rest in the hospital, until the baby came and I couldn't get up to go to the bathroom even  :'( (Luckily, that was lifted after a week, and I am now allowed to go back and forth to the bathroom). They didn't think we'd make it beyond a week or two, and we were pretty well terrified talking to NICU drs. each week about the realities of our baby coming at 23 & 24 weeks. Luckily we are out of the terrifying place now, and will hit 29 weeks on Monday. Is still scary, i'm afraid of having a still birth, and I just feel that after all the losses, that a miracle can't happen for us, but other days are good. Other days I do feel optimistic, that this baby is it, our rainbow, our miracle. Anyways, wishing all you ladies all the best in your pregnancies. Is not easy, but we are doing it.  :) One day at a time. I'm about ready to make a break for freedom, today we hit 6 weeks in hospital (I could not have imagined this), but I keep telling myself I can make it a little longer.

TriniPsych

• View Profile
Re: 28 Wks (Emergency Circlage at 22&5) Bed Rest in Hospital
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018 at 03:23 PM »
I hear you and can relate. I had a planned cerclage at week 14 due to an incompetent cervix. That was 12/4. I am now 26 weeks and I was admitted to the hospital from my OB visit on Tuesday after the results of my 24 hour were indicative of protein. I am trying to focus on the positive but it is very daunting and scary. 29 weeks is our next goal. You are going to make it mumma and your baby boy is going to be just fine. We have a tour of the NICU scheduled for next week. My OB just left and he says it looks like I am here until delivery.. I was hoping to return home but like you I want my baby boy (Greyson) to be as safe and healthy as possible. What has helped me is that I have personalized my room. I have pictures on a  small table from home, a diffuser, books a throw on the sofa, pillows a rug even my own towels and linens. Everyone comments that my room is like a spa retreat. I do have to remind them to close the door sometimes because the nurses and techs will walk in and leave the door open. Remember that room is YOUR oasis it is your space for the next several weeks ensure they are respecting it.

EnglishRose23

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018 at 03:20 PM »
@JayneElizabeth

You are doing so great, to help stay motivated remember every day you spend in hospital is at least 1 less day your baby will spend in the NICU, which is far more uncomfortable and terrifying than bedrest (I did 12 hours a day of kangeroo care for my little when he was in the NICU, and with all the wires and tubes it's impossible to get up and stretch your legs or even have regular bathroom breaks!). At 29 weeks you are past the point where they really talk about survival odds, your baby is expected to live if it is born today, and quite likely be healthy by the time it gets home. There is no child more treasured than a miracle rainbow baby. Is your cervical length still 0.5?

I completely agree with TriniPsych, since you are stuck there make that hospital room your space.

Hang in there, I am a two time graduate of extended hospital bedrest, and I completely understand how soul draining it can be. Try to plan out your day with a schedule of different activities to help the time pass. If you are allowed to sit up ask your dr for wheelchair privileges and have someone wheel you outside every once in a while, a bresh of fresh air will feel so good.

kgkane

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018 at 02:58 PM »
Hey Jayne, 
So happy you are out of the scary place ... (I’m almost there at 27 weeks). After loss it’s so hard to ‘enjoy your pregnancy’....for me I’ve just felt I’m walking on eggshells for 25 weeks. Is your cervix dynamic?  Mine is and changes depending on pressure. I just bought a pregnancy support belt off amazon and am curious to see if that helps to take some pressure off my cervix/pelvic floor. 

JayneElizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018 at 05:46 PM »
I replied to everyone using private message. I wasn't sure how it worked otherwise. I'm not feeling very technology savy lately :( Blaming pregnancy, I think! Hope all you ladies are doing well and hanging in there!