Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Wanna here your story  (Read 396 times)

Ssalminen

• View Profile
Wanna here your story
« on: February 27, 2018 at 03:44 PM »
Hey mommy's,
I am a mother to 3 girls. I just recently gave birth on 2/10/18 she was a healthy 7 pounds 10 oz. I have never had complications with my pregnancies but I am interested to gain some perspectives from mothers who have! The reason I am interested is because I am a nursing student going to get my BSN, and I am doing a research project to see what mothers in the hospital needed more from their health care team.
If any of you are willing to share your stories I would really appreciate it. Please tell me what you needed from you nurses, physician, midwife... ect. This could be support wise, more information, did you feel in the dark about your pregnancy ever? Or what did you really appreciate that your provider or nurse did that really helped make your experience amazing!?

Thank you all so much!
Good Luck!
- Sami
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018 at 10:18 PM by Ssalminen »
Sami Schelin

OBmom

• View Profile
Re: Wanna here your story
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018 at 10:02 AM »
Hey there.

Most of us share our stories in the forum, so if you dig around in there you'll find a lot of what you were looking for.

For my part, I had an amazing experience with the nursing staff. They all knew me by name and everyday they updated my gestational age. It felt good to know someone else was counting the time and rooting for extra days / weeks.

The two top things for emotional support were:
1) Having a little "party" every week-mark. My husband would bring take-away to my hospital room and the nurses looked the other way so we could have a sort of family meal, grandmas were invited, and stayed after visiting hours. Made those Tuesdays feel special!

2) One amazing loving nurse gave me back rubs on the days I was't allowed out of the bed because of PPROM. After a couple of days without physical activity your body literally starts shutting down. You start having sore spots from pressure points, no matter how good the mattress is. That is why it felt fantastic to have someone ease out those areas. I was ever so grateful, I'll never forget it :)

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

EnglishRose23

• View Profile
Re: Wanna here your story
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018 at 10:22 PM »
Hi,

I won't write about my pregnancies here (my full story is on this forum though). I was very happy with my care from the nursing staff during my hospital stays the one big exception being a medical error following delivery that almost killed me with a magnesium overdose.

During long hospital bedrests, I found the nurses to be very attentive and friendly, I always felt guilty having to ring for water though. There was definitely a general underestimating of how much water a pregnant lady with zero amniotic fluids needs. I learned the second time round to ask for a jug as well as a cup! The nurses that went the extra mile made arrangements for me to get visits from therapy dogs and helped me get wheelchair privileges so I could wheel myself out to the hospital gardens on sunny days. One thing I had to request, but that really helped was having the hospitals childbirth educator come and give me a crash course in breathing techniques etc for the labor, since I was hospitalized so early I hadn't had chance to do the childbirth classes I'd wanted to do as a first time mom!

The biggest area I would have liked to see improvement/changes in was the care following delivery. After losing my daughter I was in a ward full of happy moms with healthy newborns and I couldn't get out of there quick enough. Discharge took almost all day despite repeated requests from me and no medical reason to keep me in. With my son I didn't feel like there was good coordination between the maternity ward and the NICU, it was very difficult to get updates and they wouldn't let me go to see him until I could stand on my own. This didn't happen till 2 days after his birth because the dr hadn't realized how severe my bloodloss had been at first, it wasn't until they gave me a transfusion that I was physically able to stand . Finally able to go see my son, it was hard to find nurses with the time to wheel me to and from the NICU (they were at opposite ends of the hospital) and because the two units didn't coordinate care I would have to get back to the maternity unit for meals and every time my meds were due.