Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Cervix measuring 6mm  (Read 287 times)

Newmama9751

• View Profile
Cervix measuring 6mm
« on: March 01, 2018 at 04:31 AM »
Hello ladies

I am hoping to find some hope from you fellow mom's .  At my 18 week anatomy scan it was discovered that my cervix was thinning and funneling so I received an emergency cerclage . Since then I have been going in for biweekly ultrasounds and my cervix has gone from 1.6 to 1.4 to 1.1 and now 6mm . I am currently 27 weeks and extremely scared about how much longer I can hold my little one in .. any other mom's had a cervix measuring less than 1cm ?

Thank you for listening

OBmom

• View Profile
Re: Cervix measuring 6mm
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018 at 07:03 PM »
Hi!

My first pregnancy I had a short cervix (8mm) diagnosed at 28 weeks. We placed a pessary and managed to hold off the birth until 34 weeks, which was great.
Since you already have the cerclage, the effect should be pretty much the same.
Have you been having any symptons at all? Cramping, contractions, discharge? If so don't hesitate and go to the ER, make sure it has perinatal support / NICU.
Any chance you can stay off your feet these days? With that progressive shortening, it's not likely the cervix will elongate again. So the whole point is going to be holding on for as long as possible. Where I work (biggest MFM center in Lisbon Portugal) we'd stop measuring cervical length - we know it's really short, and the more we mess around in there the more we stimulate contractions.

I'm now 26+4 and also on bedrest for short cervix, so we'll be keeping each other company.

Hoping for all the best! Next big milestone is 28 weeks. Keep in mind that this week, for every day baby stays in utero we gain 2% survival without long-term complications (sequelae).  :)