Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Round two! (Loss briefly mentioned)  (Read 335 times)

kgkane

• View Profile
Round two! (Loss briefly mentioned)
« on: March 02, 2018 at 12:40 PM »
Hi girls.... I’m back on rest for baby number two.  My first pregnancy, I was put on bed rest and progesterone at 22 weeks with a shortened cervix (1.7cm).  I delivered him via section at 39weeks and all was well! 

This pregnancy has been a tricky one!  I have a septum in my uterus....  I miscarried a twin on the right side of my septum at 11 weeks, and continued to bleed for months.  This led to anemia, constant fatigue, and I started picking up every cold and illness.... I was constantly sick.  The loss was overshadowed with the joy that we still had one healthy baby that had a strong heartbeat! 

Currently, I’m on “light rest”, and progesterone, so off work but home and able to cook a dinner, use the washroom, shower, do a little yoga...etc.  I am currently 27 weeks and my cervix has been 1.9cm the last three weeks.  Doctors seem happy that my cervix is somewhat stable.

My cervix is complicated.... it’s dynamic so lengthens and shortens depending on how much pressure is put on it.  Has anyone ever used a pregnancy support belt to take some pressure off their pelvic floor?  I’m wondering if it’s worth investing in something?

I must say this is all less terrifying the second time around!  I’m so lucky to have a healthy boy (at daycare all day lol) and a supportive partner (who takes that healthy boy to daycare every day).  He’s also stuck with all the laundry and vacuuming, bath time and bedtime.... this momma can’t lift! 
Hang in their moms....it’s all gotta be worth it in the end!!! 

EnglishRose23

• View Profile
Re: Round two! (Loss briefly mentioned)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018 at 04:17 PM »
Hi,

That is fantastic that you made it to 39 weeks with your first baby, having done it once you can probably do it again.

It must have been tough losing the twin, when did you finally stop bleeding? I've had so much bleeding with this pregnancy (but no loss that caused it) keep hoping it will stop soon since like you I'm feeling the fatigue from the constant blood loss.

I also have a uterine septum but I've had one surgery on it to try and help. For me the septum rather than the cervix seems to be the source of most of my problems (my full story is on this forum). It always give me hope to hear from women who've made it full term with a septum.

Do you have a cerclage or pessary on your cervix?

kgkane

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018 at 04:53 PM »
I don’t have a cerlage or pressary, just progesterone and rest.  My docs believe that’s what worked in my first pregnancy so we just want to repeat! 
I started bleeding October 13 and stopped on December 20.  My last big bleed was called a subcorniac hemorage... I was in the hospital for a day, passing huge clots and it was terrifying!   After that it literally just stopped (seriously the weirdest thing).  I hope your bleeding stops soon.... it is nerve racking, and I was afraid to sneeze, cough or do any movement that might put pressure on my pelvic floor!

My first pregnancy baby Implanted on the right side of my septum... and this baby is on the left side.  Because of the septum, he’s stuck in the same position, but that seems to be the only complication it is causing me now. 

OBmom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018 at 09:56 AM »
Hi there!

Great success story with baby no.1, keep up the good work with this one!
It's amazing you made it to 39 weeks last time, it must be a comfort to know your uterus could stretch and accommodate a term baby. We'll hope hard it does the same again.

I wore a support belt for a couple of weeks my first time around, but it didn't help much since the cervix shortened anyway. After 28 weeks I was put on bedrest. Having my feet up, I pretty much figured pressure was already off the pelvic floor so I didn't see much of a point in wearing something that made me uncomfortable.
But if you're giving it a try now let us know how it works for you! I still have mine in a closet somewhere and I can ask someone to dig it out :) Anything goes, right?

Best of luck!

kgkane

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018 at 03:19 PM »
My favourite thing is that you have to get someone to dig it out for you... that is my reality... poor hubs comes home to a to do list.
I got the belt Monday and love it.....because I’m not on strict bed rest I find the extra support when I’m up doing something helpful.  I also love it when I’m laying on side.  My belly is really big (was with my first too) I’m assuming it’s because part of it is empty due to the septum.  I do wear it over a cotton tank top (function over fashion). 
I’m curious to see if my cervix lengthens this week as a result of wearing it.