Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Sludge/Contraction/Short Cervix/Preventative Cerclage - 16 weeks  (Read 1683 times)

Lauren

• View Profile
Re: Sludge/Contraction/Short Cervix/Preventative Cerclage - 16 weeks
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018 at 02:38 PM »
27+1.

We had an ultrasound yesterday and were able to see so many details.

The tech was able to show us that baby already has visible eyelashes. She said that normally she only sees this with cultures that are known to have long eyelashes and that this baby must have gorgeous eyes. How cute is that???

We also saw baby open it’s eyes, saw its lungs expanding as it practiced breathing, and saw the corpus colossum and evidence of neurological activity. In a proud mom moment, the tech took a picture of the brain activity to use for educational purposes as she said she rarely gets to see such great evidence of this (I’m beaming).

Immediately after the ultrasound I went to the bathroom. When I wiped, I noticed a small amount of mucusy discharge which looks alarmingly similar to the discharge I had when we lost our first child and was diagnosed with incompetent cervix.

We rushed to L&D where I began to have pretty intense BH contractions that were picked up on the monitor.

They removed my pessary and I was given a speculum exam to ensure waters hadn’t broken. Luckily, the test came back negative.

When they removed the speculum there was a lot of mucus streaked with some blood.

I freaked out, thinking it was bloody show, but was reassured that my cervix was closed and was stable, measuring the same length as it has been since 18 weeks. They repeated the digital test several hours later with no change.

I’m still feeling quite anxious. The digital exams were very rough. My regular OBs have been cautious about vaginal exams due to the precariousness of my situation.
When they reinserted my pessary, it was also not very gentle (my hospital doesn’t usually do pessaries for OB/IC patients, and my regular OB wasn’t available).

Since the ordeal, I have been feeling sharp tweaks in my cerclage and it feels irritated or dry down there. So worried that we aggravated the situation.

Baby is oblivious to all the trauma and is moving around like crazy.

27 weeks is so much better than with our first loss. I know we should feel lucky to have made it this far.

Still hoping for a healthy, happy, thriving, full-term baby!

EnglishRose23

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018 at 10:09 PM »
Yay for the good ultrasound, hugs for the scare that followed. Have they sent you home or still keeping you in for observation?

I've made it a week further since my bloody show type mucous last Friday so doesn't necessarily mean things are starting up.

Hoping for many more weeks for you till you get to see those beautiful eyelashes in person!!

Lauren

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2018 at 12:04 AM »
I’m at home again as they felt labour was not imminent. I have been stable all day with no more concerning discharge. My OB called today and went over everything. She said that she’s not concerned about mucus, especially now that we know things are stable, and reviewed signs that I need to go to L&D (bright red blood, watery discharge that fills a pad, smelly or green discharge, painful contractions...).
Feeling much better after talking to her, but this is quite the ride.
On the plus side, we are getting closer and closer to full term. Only 10 weeks to go! Lol

Lauren

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018 at 01:00 AM »
Well... we've made it to 30 weeks!
Baby looks ridiculously healthy on ultrasound and is in the 75% percentile for growth.  We have a great chance of our baby surviving and thriving!
Went to an OB visit today and was told that there's a good chance of making it to term, or close to it, pending infection.
Feeling good!

Charlotte

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2018 at 01:09 AM »
Great news Lauren and congrats on making it to 30 weeks! Keep us updated! I just love reading about everyone reaching these milestones. <3

EnglishRose23

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2018 at 10:05 AM »
Congratulations!  It must finally be hitting you that you will get to take this baby home, such an amazing feeling after a loss.

Hoping full term for you!! 75th percentile is awesome. Bigger preemies do better if you do end up with an early arrival.

Lauren

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2018 at 10:24 PM »
Hey all!

Got my pessary removed today and baby is moving like crazy.  I think it’s enjoying the new space that has been created. Cervix is closed, hard, and no tension is on the cerclage. Woot!

In addition to this we had an ultrasound and received more good news! Baby is almost 5lbs (4lbs13oz) and is doing so so so well. It is currently footling breech, which is no big surprise. If it stays this way, then it will be delivery by c-section, which we are both ok with.

Finally, we got a phone call from a midwife today who is willing to take me under her care! We were turned away early in our pregnancy due to the our high risk status. We are meeting on Monday to discuss what she can offer from this point forward. It’s been a good day!

Lauren

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2018 at 04:58 AM »
Our little Tommy was born on Tuesday at 5am via c-section at 33+5, weighing 5 pounds.

I woke up in the middle of the night as my waters broke and was transferred to the hospital via ambulance.  I began to contract immediately, 2 minutes apart.  Because baby was footling breech, vaginal delivery was out of the question.

We are happy to report that Tommy is ridiculously healthy and is a total rockstar in the NICU.  He currently requires no medical intervention aside from a feeding tube, which he will use until he has enough stamina to breastfeed and get the required amount of nutrition.  He's well on his way and usually latches immediately.  I'm a little bit further behind and only producing about 1ml of colostrum when I pump.

If he continues on this path, Tommy will be released in 2 weeks time!

Anyways, we are absolutely THRILLED, in LOVE, and EXHAUSTED.

Good luck to all the other mama's out there!

Sri

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2018 at 12:24 PM »
Congratulations Lauren!! Best wishes to Tommy as well! You've been very positive and inspiring, thanks.

EnglishRose23

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2018 at 12:47 AM »
I'm a little late seeing this, but CONGRATULATIONS!!! you did so great making it that far with him.  ;D