Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: SCH and on pelvic rest  (Read 446 times)

TR

• View Profile
SCH and on pelvic rest
« on: March 14, 2018 at 03:28 PM »
Hi,

I’m on my third pregnancy, the first being uncomplicated births. However, with this one they discovered a small SCH at 12 w after an episode of bleeding.

I’ve been on modified bed rest and pelvic rest since then and I am now almost 16 w with restrictions.

I feel angry, frustrated and sad and I don’t know how I can get over this period! I feel I am neglecting my older kids (they go to kindergarten and I have help, so I know I am lucky), but feel that even series or books don’t keep me interested.

I don’t have family or close friends nearby though. How do you spend your time without going crazy?

Anish

• View Profile
Re: SCH and on pelvic rest
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018 at 04:16 PM »
I know what you mean... It is an emotional journey that we all go through.. Anxiety, anger, bitterness,doubt etc. I have bad days as well. I journal and also write letters to God and my bub.... I try to get excited when it's a new week because it brings me closer to the EDD.. I cry and pray when i cant take it no more... But God gives me strength, a day at a time.. You will make it😊 Too many success stories to doubt that this too shall pass. Praying for you@

littlemissamanda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018 at 05:50 PM »
Hi TR!

I have been on BR for 4 weeks tomorrow after they saw funneling, diagnosed me with an IC and gave me a rescue cerclage. There are still lots of tough days (yesterday was one of them for me), but it does get easier. I was really bitter at the beginning and felt robbed of a "normal" pregnancy - this is the first time I have made it to the second trimester. So your feelings are completely normal. I am also thousands of miles away from family and live on an army base with no friends close. I try to make time each day to FaceTime with someone, or at least chat to them on the phone. I have taken up crochet and given myself a (simple) project to work on. I read, watch Netflix shows that I have been meaning to watch for ages, and write in my journal. I also sent out a plea on Facebook to my friends and they have been sending me things - magazines, letters, books etc. People want to help, especially when they are too far away to visit. Positive thoughts are a must and resisting the temptation to Google everything!

Sending good thoughts your way.

EnglishRose23

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018 at 12:02 AM »
Hi TR,

Welcome to the group. Have you been bleeding much? I had multiple large SCHs with this pregnancy but finally passed them a few weeks ago. From what I understand they can either come out or get absorbed. Was super scary for me when mine came out since they were bigger than baby and there was blood everywhere...since then no sign of new ones though. Hopefully you'll get the all clear on your next scan and be back on your feet in no time, with previous healthy full-term pregnancies I can't imagine they'd keep you on bedrest once the SCH disappears.

To be honest going stir crazy is part this whole thing, no way to avoid it. I've been working on my Spanish online lately to keep me busy since brushing up on my language skills is something I've been meaning to do for years. Sometimes you just need something that feels more productive than TV, internet, and reading. Patching all my husbands jeans and learning crochet is also on my list.

kgkane

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018 at 12:08 PM »
TR
I also had a SCH earlier in my pregnancy... I had great doctors and care.  I felt a little relieved that they could see the bleed on an ultrasound, and I had one doc tell me it’s better to bleed it out and that way it’s not getting in the baby’s space and crowding him.  I literally kept repeating those words over and over and over every time I went to the bathroom and saw more blood, or clots.  It’s so hard!
I too have the mom guilt with neglecting my other boy.... he’s 2 and busy.  He knows that when he is alone with me he gets to watch tv on the couch... had a little break down about it one day and my husband reassured me that although I’m Not doing much with him now (sliding, building snowmen, skating etc), having me home and able to do those little things was a million times better than me pushing myself and getting admitted to the hospital!  So for now, I just take pride in the little things that I can do for him. 
Hang in there, it’s all worth it in the end!

MMorgan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018 at 08:54 PM »
I had SCH at 22 weeks, so I was on bedrest for the remainder of the pregnancy. The last month I spent in hospital because of another condition called vasa previa and she was born a preemie. One of my friends said it best, "bed rest sounds great until you're on it!" so true! I still have people saying "at least you got to rest" when I tell my story. Bed rest is not restful, especially when you have other little ones. Hang in there though, one day you'll be able to look back at it and smile. I'm proud to tell my story, even though I was laying down most of the time, I worked hard to bring this little one into the world safely.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018 at 11:32 PM by Angela »

Jadeandrainbowbub

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018 at 12:36 AM »
I know how you feel! Bed rest is so frustrating, especially with little ones! I am off bed rest for now, but was on it earlier in my pregnancy for bleeding and cramping. Not from a SCH tho, but from a cyst  that burst. Thats really good that you have some help. It does get boring. I spent a lot of my time reading, Facebook, and on the phone to friends. And online shopping. Too much online shopping! Haha.

I know what you mean about not being able to spend as much time with your kids too. It is really hard. All I did with mine was watch movies lying down. And reading stories to them. I felt so guilty! But I think you have to remember that it won't last forever. Kids are resilient too. When they think back when they are older, they won't care that they had a bit more tv with you, and less outdoor time. :)

I think maybe just focus on the fact it isn't forever. Feels like it when you are doing it, but the time will pass, and the reward at the end is so worth it :) I liked to think about getting a new week done. My goals were 8 weeks, 9 weeks, etc etc. I had weekly goals early on because I had so much bleeding.  Now I am 18 weeks tomorrow, and my next goal is getting to 24 weeks.

TR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018 at 07:46 AM »
Thank you so much everyone for reading and replying!

I guess one of the amazing things I realised with this experince is how resilient and strong a woman's body is. It was just that I never thought of pregnancy as an illness, so it messed with my mind for a bit, trying to take it easy and not be my active self.

I am watching TV mostly, but it's a good idea to find something more productive to do like learning a language, thank you for the idea! Also, I talk to my friends on the phone, but most of them are not/have not been pregnant, so it's hard to relate... My husband is a great support, but he is not around 24/7 :P So I guess a challenge was to learn how to deal with these emotions by myself (and with the help of support groups)

I am feeling better now, but it's like I can't relax completely... I have my next check-up next week and I am excited and nervous at the same time, but will try to keep you posted and hope for the best.

I admire you all, prayers for you and your little ones!