Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Hi! New to bedrest  (Read 578 times)

AlyssaS

• View Profile
Hi! New to bedrest
« on: April 08, 2018 at 05:21 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I’m new to this site. I have been on bed rest since Wednesday. I had some light pink spotting on Tuesday night and when I went to the doctor to get checked out Wednesday morning, they said I was dilated 1cm. They checked the length of my cervix and it still looked good. They also hooked me up to a monitor and no contractions and baby is doing fine. I saw my doctor again Friday morning and she thought my cervix may have shortened more- so I’m on bed rest indefinitely now and see her again on Tuesday. I had some discharge with blood again yesterday and some
mild tightening - think Braxton Hicks- bc nothing regular and the baby is moving. I’m 30 Weeks today- anyone else have a similar experience?
Worse thing is I can’t pick up my 14 month old and we were supposed to be on the beach in the Bahamas at the moment.
Silver lining is I’m home, close to my doctor and we are both doing ok.

Ksg23

• View Profile
Re: Hi! New to bedrest
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018 at 12:42 PM »
hi Alyssa, i can imagine what you are going through. I had a somewhat similar situation...at 29 weeks discovered that i was funneling even with a cerclage. I had already been on bed rest since 20th week, so the news was very depressing. but luckily by the 34th week, the funelling was gone on its own. (i continues with bed rest). after that the doctor told me that i was about a fingertip dilated and that i could dilate further without knowing it. i was so scared!
However, luckily i made it to 36 weeks plus....after that i deleivereda healthy baby boy at 36 + 4. He was all fine and we didnt need any NICU time!
so hang in there mama...you can make it too.

And oh, i too have a toddler at home, and I couldnt pick her up or play with her for almost 4 months....its heartbreaking i know. But remember that at the end of all this, you will have a positive outcome, and all the pain will be worth it.

AlyssaS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018 at 08:27 PM »
Hi;)
Thank-you so much for responding to my post and reaching out. I’ve been feeling really alone in all of this, and it’s so nice to hear from someone who has gone through a similar experience.
I’m trying to stay positive and relax as much as possible and keep busy, but it is difficult.
I see my doctor tomorrow, and I’m just hoping for some good news and to hear that there have been no other changes since I saw her on Friday.
Will keep you posted...thanks again! Xo

Gethaline

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018 at 08:21 PM »
Hi Alyssa,

How are you holding up today?  Are you doing bed rest at home?  Such a blessing if so...it's brutal in hospital.  Bed rest is so hard...I have a 5 year old too so am in same boat, feel so useless on all fronts!  I am only 24 weeks on Saturday and cervix is stable at around 2.12 cm but no opening/dilation.  I am definitely closed.  I haven't take my nifedipine for a few days as contractions are not as bad but picking up today, but hopefully they are not doing anything internally.  Have my next check on Monday and a fibronectin test which will hopefully allow some sighs of relief for next two weeks.  Sadly with twins my body thinks its farther along than it is.

We can do this and here for you if you need anything or want to chat.  Days are endless and I feel alone too so nice to meet you :)
Sarah

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018 at 11:20 PM »
Hi, ladies!

If you would ever like to chat in our chat room, feel free to set a time to meet there: http://www.keepemcookin.com/live-chat/

AlyssaS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018 at 02:43 PM »
Hi Sarah,

It’s nice to meet you too! I am sorry for my delayed response- I haven’t checked the site again until now.
Are you in the hospital for bedrest?  I am still at home on continued bedrest. Things are going ok. It’s been difficult with not being able to take care of my son- but I just keep telling myself that I have to do whatever I can to keep this little one cooking for as long as possible.
How did your FFN test go and your doctor appointment?
I saw my doctor yesterday and things look the same as they did last week- which was a relief as well.
Hope you are hanging in there. I’m here too- and will check in more regularly than I had been.
 :)

Gethaline

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018 at 08:37 PM »
Hi Alyssa,
Great to hear from you, please dont apologize about a delayed response :) we're in a tough spot!  I am also at home for my bed rest, begged not to be in hospital as I couldnt rest with all the wires and machines beeping every hour plus hearing child birth around me it was too much.  So they let me go home.  It is so hard with little ones, almost impossible to fully rest anyway.  I have so much hip pain and rib pain from laying on my side now also.  So Monday my cervix was down to 1cm but not open, bit soft...doc said she could poke through if she pushed but definitely closed.  She started me on progesterone too to try and keep what is left...wish they had done that weeks ago?  They lost my fibronectin test too which has me on hooks for 24 hours awaiting the result so will repeat the exam (cervix) and test again on Monday.  I'll be 25 weeks on Saturday so a negative test on monday should by us through 27 at least and then they said with meds at least two more weeks so praying to God for that.  Paranoid any symptoms mean labor so trying to block that out a bit and be positive but its hard and very isolating on bed rest.  30/32 weeks babies have great outcomes so you are doing great xxx

AlyssaS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018 at 07:46 PM »
Hey Sarah,

Hope you are doing ok today. It’s definitely better to be at home than in the hospital. My doctor threatened to hospitalize me at first- but since things seem to be stable I can be at home. What are some things you are doing to keep busy? One thing that has been helping me to relax and stay calm are guided meditations. There are so many apps and YouTube has lots of options- if you haven’t tried that yet- it may be worth a try. I’ve also been binge watching tv, reading (since I can concentrate more now) and talking with friends. Are you up for visitors or just don’t want people around?
I’m so sorry that they lost your FFN test! That’s so frustrating- but Monday isn’t too far off, and hopefully the progesterone is working. Sending good thoughts and vibes. I know how isolating this can be- I’ll check back in later :)
Xo

Gethaline

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018 at 01:57 AM »
Hi again,
I am doing the same as you binge watching HULU, Netflix etc. meditation and reading (although hard when laying sideways) boy does my body ache!  How are you feeling?  What week are you now?

I ended up at L&D today because my contractions kicked in a notch, of course they slowed when I was there lol but they did do a vaginal US and FFN test.  Cervix stable from Monday (holding around 1cm) and negative FFN test so hopefully I can chill out for a few weeks.  I am 25 weeks Saturday so this will hopefully get me to 27 weeks...then with meds and interventions maybe 30/32.  Praying so much right now and trying not to overanalyze everything, but easier said than done when you feel like you're about to give birth.  I am ok when not contracting so much but when they kick in I panic...driving my husband nuts too!

Walking is tough right now as there is so much pressure.  I knew I'd feel like this at some point, just didn't expect to feel like this so early on!  Hope you're doing ok xo

AlyssaS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018 at 04:37 PM »
Hey Sarah,

How are you doing today? I’m sorry that you ended up in L&Adam last week- that must have been scary and stressful. That’s great news about the negative FFN test.
Definitely hard on our husbands too. I wish mine would talk more- he’s been a rockstar- but quiet about everything going on.
I was 32 Weeks on Sunday- we are heading to the doctor this afternoon for our weekly appointment and they are also going to do an ultrasound to see how big the baby is.
Hope you are doing well today;) Talk later
Xo