Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Anyone on Nifedipine?  (Read 752 times)

wren

• View Profile
Anyone on Nifedipine?
« on: May 12, 2018 at 08:12 PM »
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone was on Nifedipine and how long you stayed on it? When did labor begin after you stopped taking it?

This is my second pregnancy, and  I was first hospitalized for pre-term labor at 27 weeks, and was 1 cm dilated. I was given betamethasone, Indamethacine, and Magnesium Sulphate and then sent home on bedrest after 4 days. At 32+3 I felt intense pressure and started having contractions again and when I went in, I was 4 cm dilated and my cervix was about 9 mm long. I was given a rescue course of betamethasone and put on Nifedipine. I was sent home again after 4 days and am supposed to stay on bed rest and continue Nifedepine every 6 hours. I am 33 weeks and 1 day today and grateful to have made it to this point but am hoping to get to at least 34 weeks. Would love to hear your experience with Nifedepine?

My first son was born at 27 +4 and passed away when he was a week old from complications in the NICU so this has been a very stressful and emotional pregnancy.

Thank you!!!

EnglishRose23

• View Profile
Re: Anyone on Nifedipine?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018 at 08:24 PM »
Hi wren,

Haven't seen you post in a while, so I just wanted to say how happy I am for you that you have made it this far! I've never been on Nifedipine so can't help with your question. Hope it keeps you going a little while longer  :D

OBmom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018 at 04:07 PM »
Hi Wren.
Similar story here, second pregnancy with short cervix diagnosed at 23 weeks, put on bed rest and placed a pessary.

I went in at 33 weeks with PTL, they gave me the steroid shots and started me on nifedipine. I stayed on nifedipine every 6h just like you for one week. It made me feel pretty crappy because of headaches and low blood pressure. I stopped after 34 weeks - there's just no credible medical reason to stop contractions after that gestational age. If baby wants to come, and you've done all you can to prepare, then let it come! Better out than in. We usually say:"we might not know why they want to come out, but they do".

wren

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018 at 05:34 PM »
Hi EnglishRose23, Thanks for the note! I hope your little one is still cooking and that everything is going well!

Hi OBMom, I'm supposed to stop the Nifedipine at 34 weeks as well. It sounds like you went past 34 weeks? Have you delivered yet? So great to hear that you got to 36 weeks!