Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Makena Injections ????  (Read 473 times)

keriann82

• View Profile
Makena Injections ????
« on: April 18, 2018 at 02:23 PM »
I'm totally freaked out about getting these shots. I had my first one last week. When I researched it, all I found was scary side effects and warnings of miscarriage and stillborn babies......Is there any alternative to getting this shot? Can anyone share their experience or possibly put my mind at ease?

OBmom

• View Profile
Re: Makena Injections ????
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018 at 04:53 PM »
Hey Keriann.

Progesterone shots are actually really common in the world of preterm labor and cervical insufficiency. And those problems have a scary rate of complications such as miscarriage and stillbirth. Which we are trying to avoid.
Maybe you can share a bit more of your story? Like what pregnancy is this (first, second..), prior problems, how far along you are..?
You'll find plenty of moms on Makena shots in here, and apart from some migraines, I think most people tolerate them well.
Don't panic just yet :)

EnglishRose23

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018 at 05:19 PM »
Hi,

I too made the mistake of reading the full warning label and prescribing info for Makena. They are required to warn you about the things that went wrong for their study group;  but the reality is they were studying a group of women who were at high risk for those complications anyway and it probably wasn't taking the Makena that caused those losses. There were lots of losses in the control group too. And overall it does reduce the risk of preterm birth.

I was less than impressed with the overall results of the study. It is by no means a miracle drug, but it is one of the few defences out there against preterm birth so I still take it. This is be my second time on it and I did get 6 weeks further along on it with my son than I did with my daughter for what that's worth.

keriann82

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018 at 09:42 PM »
Thank you for your responses....

This is my 3rd pregnancy, first was full term and I was induced by choice (no problems or complications)
2nd pregnancy I started having a lot of contractions at 34 weeks, I went into dr office and was monitored on the machine, was given a shot of trabutaline  (sp?) and sent home with a prescription drug to take if I kept having contractions. I was told I didn't need to take it easy or be on bed rest, so I went on as usual and never took the prescribed meds cause I felt fine. Five days later I had a lot of painful contractions so I went into labor and delivery, they hooked me up to the monitor and checked me (one nurse said I was dialated to a 3 and one nurse said 4), next thing I knew they aid they talked to my dr and they were going to break my water and I was going to deliver the baby.

I probably should have asked a lot more questions but I didn't. I have no clue if they could have stopped my labor or if it was too late? I don't know why the decision was made to break my water that day? The nurses seemed surprised when they said they were going to do that. Baby was ok and he stayed in the NICU for 3 weeks, no major problems, he just couldn't keep his temperature up.

So now I'm pregnant with number 3 and was advised to have the Makena shots. I guess my hesitation was that I didn't really know if I'm truely at risk for another preterm labor? Could the last time have been prevented or prolonged? I also have never heard or been told that I have any issues with my cervix or any other issue that can cause premature birth.....so am I still a candidate that should be on this medication?

Thank you soooooooo much for your time/thoughts!!!!