Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Pregnant after two 2nd trimester losses  (Read 236 times)

AletF

• View Profile
Pregnant after two 2nd trimester losses
« on: May 05, 2018 at 11:26 AM »
Hello ladies

I'm new here! I live in Pretoria, South Africa. I've had a pretty sad pregnancy history so far and I was diagnosed with a weak cervix after my 2nd second trimester loss in 2016. I'm currently 23 weeks pregnant and I had a transabdominal cerclage (TAC) placed pre-pregnancy in 2017. My pregnancy has been great thus far except for a brief stint in L&D due to a bladder infection/yeast infection. This past Wednesday my ob/gyn noticed some funneling above the TAC. The funneling bit was about 1cm and the cervix below theTAC 2.5cm and closed. My dr made me stress with her reaction and ordered me to be on bedrest. A follow-up scan yesterday showed a funnel of only 0.6cm and a closed cervix of 3cm. The dr said I must still be off my feet.

I honestly don't know what is good or not and whether to stress or not. With my history, I struggle to stay positive that this pregnancy will work out. Some say a bit of funneling above the TAC is normal and some think it's a concern. In addition, my on/off bladder infections/yeast infections are driving me crazy!

I'm committed to stay on bedrest for as long as necessary but didn't even think it was necessary with this cerclage. My next appointment is on Wednesday.

I really hope I can remain positive.

I'm happy to have found this group.

Alet
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018 at 11:28 AM by AletF »

Lauren

• View Profile
Re: Pregnant after two 2nd trimester losses
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018 at 03:07 PM »
I’m so sorry to hear about what you are going through.

I was also diagnosed with IC after a second trimester loss in September.

I was given a preventative cerclage (TVC) at 13+5. I advocated for a TAC, but where I live, they only do it after 2 losses :(

Anyways, I’ve been funnelled to the stitch since 16 weeks and am currently 24+2. Apparently it is expected that you will funnel if you have true IC. Unfortunately there is a higher risk of rupturing membranes when you are funnelled although there are different outlooks in the need for bedrest. My doctor doesn’t believe in it, but has given me a note to be off work and I have put myself on modified bed rest. I wanted to know that I did everything possible to keep this little one in.

Anyways, I can totally relate to your situation and the stress that you are going through. Dealing with this is not an easy task and makes it so hard to enjoy your pregnancy!

Bedrest is not a walk in the part. I rely heavily on my husband for everything. He’s been absolutely incredible. I also have a great support group and have visitors throughout the week.

However, the days are long and there are periods of time in the afternoon where I feel very alone.

Wishing you all the best in your journey! Keep us posted on your progress <3

AletF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018 at 03:34 PM »
Thank you for your response Lauren. It’s good to know I’m not alone in this. I have a 5-year old daughter and it’s not easy to look after her and be on bedrest. Like you, I have friends & family helping plus we have a domestic worker from Monday to Friday who cleans, washes clothes, irons, etc. My husband works in a neighbouring country month on/month off. He was away for the whole of April but thankfully he’s here for May. Now he can do the school run, buy groceries, etc. I’m just trying to work out how to work on a laptop while on the couch/bed!

Lauren

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018 at 05:03 PM »
I have also found that taking cranberry pills each day helps with UTIs.  I haven't had any since beginning that regimen.
My doctors also advised that I take some probiotics to help balance bacteria.  There are some safe options for pregnancy, but run it by your doctor or pharmacist first.
I have arranged my couch in the Trendelenburg position by propping pillows underneath the couch cushion.  If I lie on my back and prop my laptop between my bent legs and chest, I generally find it OK to use my laptop.
I think the point of the bedrest is to reduce your movement, but I don't know that it's necessary to be super strict about it in your situation and with at TAC.
I still get up to go to the bathroom, have a shower, get food, etc... and have been stable since receiving a pessary on top of my cerclage at 18 weeks.

AletF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018 at 06:49 PM »
I'm happy to hear you're stable with the pessary. My next appointment is on Wednesday and I suppose we'll see how strict my activity restriction should be based on that scan. Thanks for the advice about the cranberry pills - I'll send my husband to buy me some.

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018 at 12:49 AM »
Hi, Alet.
I am so very sorry you have had such a difficult pregnancy journey. I wanted to let you know I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you and wish you the best at your appointment tomorrow. Please let us know how it goes. (((Hugs)))

AletF

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018 at 10:08 AM »
Thank you Angela & Lauren! My dr is happy. The funnel is still there (1 cm and above the TAC) but my cervix below the TAC is closed and 3.7 cm. She says it’s a very good length. But I’m still on modified bedrest. My bladder infection has improved. The cranberry pills seems to be working as well as lots of water.