Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Placenta Previa at 14 weeks and counting  (Read 155 times)

KateL

• View Profile
Placenta Previa at 14 weeks and counting
« on: June 19, 2018 at 02:27 AM »
Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and am happy to have found you. I'm 37 years old and 19w pregnant tomorrow with a baby boy. I've been on home bedrest for nearly 5 weeks now (strict bedrest the last 4 weeks). I was surprised at 14w with bright red bleeding and lightheadedness, and thought it was a miscarriage. The ultrasound showed that the baby was doing fine, and that I had placenta previa. A subsequent ultrasound at 15w showed a hematoma in addition to the previa.

At first, my OB was optimistic that the placenta previa might resolve as the pregnancy progresses. My latest ultrasound at 17w2d showed no hematoma, but no progress with the placenta previa (in fact, the previa was clearly shown as complete). The doctor is now anticipating this will be a condition I have throughout the pregnancy. If I stop bleeding for 2 weeks, the doctor said, we can talk about increasing my activity level somewhat.

However, I've been bleeding virtually every day for the past 5 weeks. Usually it's dark red / brown blood, but that took a frightening turn around the time of my anatomy scan at 17w2d. The day after the scan, I started bleeding pretty heavily, bright red, which lasted for 3 days. I monitored it under consultation with the doctor and then finally went to the hospital on the third day. Baby was still doing fine, my iron and blood count levels were good, and I was told there is nothing to do but rest at home, at this point.

I've continued with moderate, dark red / brown bleeding every day, throughout the day. I'm coming to terms with the fact that I may be on strict bedrest throughout the rest of this pregnancy. If I can make it to 36 weeks, I'll have a c-section at that time.

I have a vivacious 19-month-old daughter. I work full-time, and I'm fortunate to have a job that has allowed me to work from home during bedrest--though it hasn't always been easy to concentrate, with the emotional ups and downs of this condition. We also have a wonderful nanny who has continued to look after our daughter during the week. So I have been able to do the strict bedrest pretty well, to keep up my usual work schedule from home, and there has been relatively minimal disruption to our daughter's life. I'm trying to focus on all of the positives right now, and often this is enough. But I also cycle through periods of fear and sadness over the sheer uncertainty of this condition and the pregnancy as a whole, and how difficult bedrest has been (I've always relied on exercise to help me deal with stress, and it's really hard not to have recourse to that right now). Like I said, I'm grateful to have found this forum and to be able to hear your stories, as well.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018 at 04:04 AM by KateL »

Sri

• View Profile
Re: Placenta Previa at 14 weeks and counting
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018 at 04:03 AM »
KateL - So good to see your positive attitude, please keep it up!! You remind and inspire me like the German Football coach.

This is his reaction after their FIFA world cup 1st round, 1st match loss, inspite of being reigning champions! I'm using this as inspiration to keep my head down, focusing on today and staying thankful. 2 more days for 24 wks for us!

From BBC.com

"Germany 0-1 Mexico

Germany head coach Joachim Low does not share our excitement about a potential Germany v Brazil match in the last-16. He says: "I certainly don't care about that. The round of 16, I don't waste any thought on that. It is all about the next match and being better.""

KateL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018 at 11:46 AM »
Thank you, Sri!  It really does help to just take it one day at a time, focusing on where I am right now and what I can do today. Good luck to you as you approach and exceed 24w!!

Lauren

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018 at 03:29 PM »
Hi Kate,

I can’t offer much about placenta Previn, but I can relate to what you are going through with bedrest and the hard feelings that come with it (full story: pregnancy complications —> sludge/contractions/short cervix - 16 weeks)

This is my second pregnancy, with a previous loss at 24 weeks. I’ve been on bedrest since 16 weeks. My prognosis was not good. On top of incompetent cervix, I had a few other complications that made this pregnancy very high risk. I don’t believe that either of my OBs thought I’d make it to 24 weeks. I spent many days in my second trimester fighting through anxiety and sadness, over my loss and the potential loss of this pregnancy. It was incredibly difficult.

My family doctor, in consultation with my OB, eventually prescribed an anti-anxiety medication (Celexa), which has helped immensely. After 24 weeks, I started to see a huge difference in my emotional state. Things were starting to look up.

Somehow I’ve defied the odds and we have made it to 30+5.

I’m still on bedrest, but have developed a routine that keeps things “normal”. I find that getting dressed each day and changing locations for the day (bed to couch in the living room) makes life a little more bearable. Not sure if you’re able to do that on SBR, but could be something to look into.

I’m so sorry to hear that you are dealing with bedrest and uncertaintly, and while not being able to fully take care of your little one and work. Sounds like you have some great supports on your side to help you get through this.

Wishing you all the best!

KateL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018 at 03:47 AM »
Lauren, thank you so much for sharing your story. I'm so sorry for your loss of your earlier pregnancy. And yet what an amazing thing to have made it this far with your current pregnancy, defying the odds, as you say. This is really encouraging and inspiring. Thank you, as well, for your suggestions for coping with the strains of bedrest and so much uncertainty. I agree with you that keeping to a physical routine will help, moving from bed to couch, etc., and I will give that a try. I really appreciate your comments. Continued good luck to you!!

KateL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018 at 12:11 AM »
Came across this article from a year ago (so maybe it's been posted already, elsewhere on this forum), but it gave me some additional helpful things to think about in the context of bedrest and high-risk pregnancy. I love what the writer said: "There is no primer for how to be a high-risk pregnant woman." Every woman's story is different, and there is no crystal ball to tell you how your own story will go. That said, I found some really reassuring insights here. Thought I'd share this, hoping it will encourage some of you ladies, too: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/what-high-risk-pregnant-women-need-to-hear_us_5890d278e4b04c35d5835354
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018 at 12:16 AM by KateL »

Lauren

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018 at 03:59 AM »
Great article! Thanks for sharing :)