Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: New here! 18 wks  (Read 303 times)

Emilymychal

• View Profile
New here! 18 wks
« on: June 21, 2018 at 04:34 PM »
Hello all,

I just joined this forum and thought I'd introduce myself. My first child was a 24 weeker due to spontaneous preterm labor. He's now 8 and healthy. I'm currently 18w3d with my second pregnancy and it seems the closer I get to 24, the more nervous I get about being able to make it that far, if that makes sense. I am on progesterone suppositories and get transvaginal ultrasounds every other week. Hoping to find wisdom and comfort in this community as I navigate this pregnancy!

Lauren

• View Profile
Re: New here! 18 wks
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018 at 08:32 PM »
I am/was in a similar situation to you - previous loss at 24 weeks, and high anxiety throughout this pregnancy.

A few things helped me get through the second trimester. 

One was to repeat the mantras:

"This baby will be happy, healthy, thriving, and FULL TERM".

+

"This is a different pregnancy, a different baby, a different story with a different ending".

Another thing that has helped immensely is this support group as well as a few forums on Facebook, including one called "Incompetent Cervix".  I especially like participating in the Tuesday chats on this group that begin at 2pm EST.

Finally, after a long stint on bedrest starting at 16 weeks and an already established relationship with an amazing therapist, my family doctor and OB conferred and decided that it would be best for my mental health to be on anti-anxiety medication.  I was prescribed a low-dose of Celexa which is pregnancy safe with a very low dependency rate.  If your anxiety is really getting to you, I would suggest talking to your doctor about that.  I've been waking up happy every day since the meds took full effect, with the exception of one trigger day.

Wishing you all the best as you count down to your goals and eventually make it to full term!