Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Shortening cervix after cerclage  (Read 328 times)

Fenrose

• View Profile
Shortening cervix after cerclage
« on: July 01, 2018 at 08:35 PM »
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. A little background, I had my first son at 35 weeks and 5 days after my water broke 2 days before I delivered him. That was 3.5 years ago. 
I am currently 25 weeks and 2 days pregnant. I had a cerclage placed a little less then 4 weeks ago. When I had it placed my cervix was around 2.5 cm. I have had lots of tightening and some pain. 1.5 weeks ago I was measured at 1.5 - 1.3 and I'm funneling to the stitch. I was placed on modified bed rest. I was just wondering if it is typical for the cervix to shorten after the cerclage was placed or if I should be concerned.
Thank you for reading the long post!

Lauren

• View Profile
Re: Shortening cervix after cerclage
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018 at 01:01 AM »
Hey Fenrose,

Sounds like your doctors made the right call in placing the cerclage for you! 

I had a preventative cerclage placed at 13+5 and by 18 weeks, I was measuring around 1cm and completely funnelled to the stitch. With modified bedrest, I have made it to 32+3 and a couple of weeks ago, my doctors said that they believed that I had a good chance of making it to term (this is despite several other complications).

One thing that my doctors told me and what I didn't truly believe until this point in my pregnancy is that what matters more than cervical length with a cerclage is whether or not your cervix is closed.  Next time you have an OB appointment you can ask your doctor for this information and have some peace of mind.  Since you didn't mention that your cervix was open in your post, I imagine this is the case for you!

Wishing you the best and keep us posted on your progress!

Lauren

Fenrose

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018 at 01:13 PM »
Hi,
Thank you for your reply. My doctor said that my cervix is closed and that it looks like my stitch is holding.

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018 at 02:23 PM »
Hi, Fenrose.
Give us an update when you can. Looking forward to it!

Fenrose

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018 at 05:41 PM »
Hello,
I am 32 weeks today. My doctors stopped checking my cervix awhile ago. So, I do not know the exact measurements.

Four weeks until they remove the cerclage and I can stop taking the progesterone shots!