Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Hey. I'm new around here.  (Read 346 times)

ninjapandacookie

• View Profile
Hey. I'm new around here.
« on: July 16, 2018 at 09:39 PM »
Hi everybody. I'm new around here and terrified!

I suppose I should share my story so far.

After 5 early miscarriages, I was super excited to make it to my 19w ultrasound with a living baby in there. Our anatomy scan went great, up until the ultrasound tech discovered that I had a short cervix - .8cm at its shortest point, and funneling. I was prescribed progesterone supplements and pelvic rest, but no bed rest - much to my surprise.

At 22+2, my waters broke (PPROM) - by the time I got to the hospital an hour later, I had no measurable amniotic fluid left. However, my cervix was still closed. I spent 3 days in the hospital getting pumped full of antibiotics and having my vitals checked. After consultation with the neonatologist and two MFMs, we decided to start steroids at 23+5. I've been sent home to begin bed rest, and though the MFM recommended "modified best rest" I get up for the bathroom every 4 hours but that's it, because I'm just so terrified. Today I'm 22+6, and I head back for hospital bed rest at 23+5 until who-knows-when.

I'd really love to hear from others who have been through this experience - I have no idea what to expect, no clue what else I can do to help give this little one a better survival chance, and no idea how to keep myself sane right now.

ninjapandacookie

• View Profile
Re: Hey. I'm new around here.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018 at 06:52 AM »
Hi! Well! I didn't end up lasting long!

At 23+0, I started having contractions and despite taking Procardia in an attempt to make the uterus quiescent, I started taking the corticosteroid shots immediately. We managed to get the first one that day and the second at 23+1. On the morning of 23+2 at 3am, true labour began and I ended up giving birth by emergency c-section within the hour. Fortunately, my hospital care team had already identified the c-section as a likely outcome given our baby Girl's breach position so a team was already in place to handle this probability.

Our baby girl is now almost 2 days old, and is in the NICU being cared for by an amazing team. She is doing well for her gestational age, and we are grateful that we chose to start intervention early instead of relying on the procardia to stop labour contractions.

Lauren

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018 at 01:12 PM »
Congratulations on the birth of your daughter!
Wishing you all the best in your NICU journey!

allimarie80

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018 at 01:40 AM »
Congratulations on the birth of your daughter and sending prayers that she continues to grow.