Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Cerclage or no cerclage  (Read 384 times)

Vtmama

• View Profile
Cerclage or no cerclage
« on: August 22, 2018 at 05:49 PM »
Hi all-

What an amazing community! Hoping to get some guidance. I am 20+5 days with our son. On Monday I had a cl of 1.3 (it has decreased slightly week over week). The doctor suggested that we think about a cerclage but it does not have any guarantees and comes with its own risks.

A bit of my history. I have a 5 year old daughter and was diagnosed with a short cervix but carried her until 37+ 3 days. I was on bed rest with her from basically 20 weeks to 37.

I am now being told by multiple doctors that modified rest (no sex, no exercise, no lifting) is the recommendation and bed rest (just lying around) isn’t good.

So I guess my questions are-
Would you get a cerclage in this circumstance?
Has anyone else been told The same about bed rest?

Sorry for the long winded post. Thanks for reading.

Best,
Allison

Ps if anyone is a knitter and is on Ravelry let me know! I started knitting last time and would love to connect!

Lauren

• View Profile
Re: Cerclage or no cerclage
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018 at 10:45 PM »
Hi Allison,

Based on my experience (a loss followed by another high risk pregnancy due to IC), I would absolutely go for the cerclage.

My first loss happened quickly - everything was fine at the 20 week scan and by 23+5, I had no measurable cervix and bulging membranes.  We were going to attempt a rescue cerclage, but there was evidence of amniotic fluid in my discharge.  We lost our son 5 days later.

With my second pregnancy, I had a preventative cerclage, and still I shortened to 1cm and was fully funnelled by 18 weeks.  If it wasn't for interventions, I am sure we would have lost our son.

Anyways, those are my two cents! Wishing you so much luck and a long pregnancy!

Lauren

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018 at 02:05 PM »
Hello, vtmama.

Did you decide to get the cerclage? How have you been? Is your cervix length holding steady?

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018 at 07:04 PM »
Hi, Allison.

We haven't heard from you in a while. How are you doing?