Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Intro  (Read 869 times)

HeatherB

• View Profile
Intro
« on: October 15, 2018 at 05:02 PM »
Hi! I am Heather. I 35 years old and am pregant with my 8th pregnancy, one ended in miscarriage. I have had 5 prior c-sections and one vba4c. I currently am 16 weeks pregnant and am starting my third week of complete bedrest after being diagnosed with complete placenta previa that I was spotting with. There is concern about possible placenta accreta as well but is too early to diagnose. My last pregnany ended with a late term premie born at 34 weeks.

HeatherB

• View Profile
Re: Intro
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018 at 11:18 AM »
I had a sonogram yesterday which showed my placenta has moved off my cervix. I am now allowed to sit some. My bedrest wont be lifted until they verify I dont have accreta. My placenta is on the front side of my uterus.

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: Intro (placenta previa)
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018 at 12:48 PM »
Happy to hear you have some good news to share! Though I know you're still in a tough spot waiting to hear about the accreta. I'm not familiar with how OBs identify it or judge how serious it is. Could you tell us about that? When will you go back to the OB? Or are you seeing an MFM?

Positive thoughts coming your way!

HeatherB

• View Profile
Re: Intro
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018 at 09:58 PM »
Due to this being my 6th c-section, I have seen only the MFM for my entire pregnancy. I like it there and appreciate the added wisdom they have had dealing with high risk pregnancies. When my complications arose, they immediately took action and I feel safer knowing they deal with problems all the time.

A placenta accreta occurs when your placenta embebs too deeply into your uterus and wont detach normally so it can cause severe hemorrhaging. My mfm prefers to do a planned hysterectomy at 34 weeks with known accretas as he feels it has a better fetal and maternal outcome and is the safest route.

An accreta can happen in any pregnancy but it is most common when there is scarring of the uterus and the placenta attaches near the scar tissue. In my case, my placenta was on the front of my uterus and I also had a placenta previa. I had over a 70% chance of developing an accreta with 5 prior csections with my current placental placement.

An accreta is diagnosed through ultrasound and possibly mri. Once your lower uterine segment can be seen, they try to visualize your scar tissue in regards to your placental placement. If the placenta is no where near the scars, then your chances are small of developing the complication. If your placenta is over or near it, they look for the placenta to be embedded further into the uterus than it should be and grade the severity of it. The MRI helps them to visualize the blood flow which helps them to decide if it is detached normally or not.