Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 21 wks pregnant with 2nd with emergency cerclage  (Read 2060 times)

tdgdeguz

• View Profile
21 wks pregnant with 2nd with emergency cerclage
« on: November 12, 2018 at 01:14 PM »
Hi my name is Toni I’m 41yrs old with my second pregnacy. I’ve been admitted to hospital yesterday with as my cervix literally opened during a scan. I’m currently 21 wks today and my baby girl is otherwise healthy and kicking away. I had an emergency cerclage put in and basically will be on bedrest with a hope to try and get to 30wks.

I had lost my first born last year due to an infection which we thought shortened my cervix. It appeara its actually because my cervix was not great that is why the infection got in.

I’m doing my very best to keep positive but its is hard I’m a Type 2 Diabetic and also hypertensive.

I need to keep my mind focussed on the good that we managed to get a stitch in because my OBGYN was doubtful he could get one in.

Every niggle, tender thing I feel is heightening my anxiousness.

I need to hear stories of success and educate myself on how to best adhere to best practices of bed rest. Please help!

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: 21 wks pregnant with 2nd with emergency cerclage
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018 at 03:53 PM »
Hi, Toni!

Thanks for the email you sent me yesterday. I'll respond to you here because I know other moms are going through these same emotional and physical challenges. You are in a tough spot, for sure. It sounds like you can be thankful for discovering that your cervix had shortened and that your OB was able to do the cerclage.

Has your OB talked about vaginal progesterone? I have seen many many women here keep cookin' for weeks and oftentimes months with the combination of a cerclage and progesterone. That could happen for you, too.  :)

For your anxiety, guided meditation can really help. Take a look at these: https://bit.ly/2PPjQ35

Another way to manage anxiety can include writing down all of your anxious thoughts to get them out of your head and on to paper. They've been documented, so you don't have to keep running them through your mind.

Here are a few of my favorite "short cervix" success stories:
https://bit.ly/2qHdKU7
https://bit.ly/2z1of9m
https://bit.ly/2DfOKuK

Hope all this can help you! Keep us in the loop! Especially after your next OB appointment. That will help, too.

tdgdeguz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018 at 05:32 PM »
Thank you for the great tips! My OBGYN is nor prescribing mr progestrone though I’ve been on 200mg pessaries since 6 weeks. He said it obviously didn’t work so he ceased it though I feel I should still keep going after I heal from surgery. I’ll ask him today.

tdgdeguz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018 at 05:37 PM »
My OB saw me today with our scan scheduled for next Monday. I for a good night sleep last night and just trying ro plan my day so I get into a routine.

tdgdeguz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018 at 07:14 PM »
I’m currently 23wks + 5days and have been feeling relatively well rested at the hospital on bed rest (modified).

Baby has been active and I do love that when I touch my bump she kicks away or when I speak to her.

I bought a book of fairy tales which I read and record during the day and then play to her before going to bed. I do love that she kicks away hearing my voice. I’ve gotten my hisband to do the same and its a good activity to bond with our little girl.

I hope all the Mommies out there on bedrest are doing well xoxo

mamabear2mycubs

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018 at 01:13 PM »
Hi, tdgdeguz!  Glad to hear you are doing well on bed rest and finding ways to bond with your little one. 

I am 28 weeks and found out I had a short cervix at 22 weeks, on progesterone suppositories but no bed rest.  It's still a challenge for me to feel hopeful than hopeless.  This pregnancy has been anything but smooth sailing and any twinge I feel sets me to a slight panic.  It is difficult to quiet the worries.  I read from a post here, someone would use the mantra "My cervix is long and strong." and that has stuck with me and I use it.  Anyways, just wanted to send you a quick note to let you know I'm here along with other mamas.  Sharing similar worries and challenges.  Thinking of you and all the other mamas to keep our babies cooking. 

tdgdeguz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018 at 02:51 PM »
Hi Mamabear thank you and that’s great to hear that you are 28wks that’s my next milestone.

I have our scan today at 26wks to check in on our little girl. Whilst this is a good thing, there is always anxiousness that comes with it for me.

Like you this pregnancy hasn’t been smooth sailing.

I do like that mantra...😊

tdgdeguz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019 at 12:42 PM »
An update...

Just wanted to let everyone know that on Saturday 2 March 2019 at 11.44pm AEST I gave birth via emergency c-section to our baby girl Cara Elizabeth. We got to 36 weeks + 3 days which to me was such an achievement considering where we were at 20 weeks.

She has been an absolute joy, she weighed 2.65kg and 50cms long 😊

Though our hearts will always have a missing piece that is up in heaven with her big sister Ella, Cara has given our hearts light and hope.

To all the Mamas who are out there doing their best whether you are on bedrest, restricted activity due to complications in your pregnancy...YOU CAN DO THIS! Know that you are doing all that you can for your baby and know that your baby is also fighting with you ?? God Bless everyone! Xoxo

HeatherB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019 at 12:42 AM »
Congratulations! Im glad things turned out so well for you with your recent delivery!

Linds

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019 at 08:46 AM »
Congratulations on the birth of your baby girl! How fantastic that you made it so far in the pregnancy! I wish you all the best  :)

Mamaato

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019 at 03:09 PM »
Congratulations. Welcome to the world Baby Cara