Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Short Cervix at 20 weeks 6mm  (Read 1990 times)

1sttimemomwatson

• View Profile
Short Cervix at 20 weeks 6mm
« on: January 11, 2018 at 08:27 PM »
So I'm expecting my first child and I'm 20 weeks and 5 days. I'm currently high risk because of my shortened cervix but also because my baby has been found to have a heart defect.
My doctor currently has me on modified bedrest. I'm also taking progesterone vaginal inserts, Indomethacin, and a Pessary inserted.
I'm worried about going into preterm labor, especially since my baby needs to cook as long as possible to be strong for surgery.

Has anyone had luck relaxing their cervix, enough to show lengthening? Has anyone been able to make it to full term with this much shortening?

Help! I need some other mamas and their stories.

Rana

• View Profile
Re: Short Cervix at 20 weeks 6mm
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018 at 03:30 PM »
Hi there,

I understand where you are coming from. I’ve been diagnosed with an incompetent cervix and it has shortened to 0.9cm at 23 weeks. I’m currently on bed rest and seeing a high risk OB. He seems fairly confident that I will get past the grey area because the measurements have been stable the past 4 weeks. As long as your length is stable, have faith that you and your baby will be okay. Sending you positive thoughts!

Asmajkan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019 at 04:20 AM »
Hi, im in the same boat as you just further along (25 weeks today). My cervix is .55mm and I got a pessar last Thursday. Do they have you on strict bed rest ?

Goldielocks1881

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019 at 08:57 PM »
Same boat! I am 24 weeks today and my cervix was between .55 and .9 (guess there’s some tech user error involved). Next check up is next Tuesday feb 12th. Hoping to also be stable!

I’m just on progesterone. They have not suggested the pessary yet. They mentioned it but seems like it’s mostly via research studies now? They said I could get it outpatient but haven’t really talked much about it since. I’m curious what your doctors think about it?

Asmajkan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019 at 06:31 AM »
I would def recommed it and i think it helps with the pressure and keeping the lenght stable. It doesnt hurt putting in and it takes less than a minute. My docs thinks that it helps bc i also had a short cervic w my son ( 1st pregnacy) 1.2 cm diagonsed at 21 weeks or so and we made it to 36 weeks + 4 days ( we took out the ring around 35 weeks). I also take magnesium which they say helps with keeping the cervix stable and not shortening.

Goldielocks1881

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019 at 08:46 AM »
Interesting! I hadn’t heard is mag sulfate to keep it from shortening but to stopmlabor contractions.

When you got your pessary did they need to fit you with a certain size? I was worried about things going in and out.

Asmajkan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019 at 03:04 AM »
There are diffrent sizes but my doctor knew which one to use and inserted it only once and it took less than a minute.