Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: New here-Rescue Cerclage 20 weeks  (Read 1083 times)

julialynn

• View Profile
New here-Rescue Cerclage 20 weeks
« on: December 31, 2018 at 03:01 PM »
I had a previous loss at 22 weeks that doctors weren’t sure if it was preterm labor that caused my water to break of a cervix issue. this time around I have been getting cervical length checks every two weeks. at 18 weeks i was measuring 4.7 and when i went back at 20 weeks I was measuring 1.8cm (1.5cm when I had pressure) I was sent right away to get a cerclage. This was on the 28th and I am still having pretty bad back pain (maybe from the spinal) and lots of pressure in my pelvic area where it just feels heavy. especially when i get up and move around. i was curious if anybody else had this ? is it normal? thank you in advance.

nikki2ks

• View Profile
Re: New here-Rescue Cerclage 20 weeks
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019 at 08:24 AM »
I got a cerclage put in when I went into preterm labor with my twins at 17 w 5d. I actually gave birth to my first daughter and then the cerclage was put in to save my other daughter. We made it all the way to 34 w. I was also put on bed rest the remainder of the pregnancy after the cerclage was put in. I would feel all kinds of pressure at times but I got weekly cervix checks and my length remained stable though short. My second pregnancy we decided to do a cerclage ahead of time as a preventative measure even though we don't know if I truly have incompetent cervix or it was just the pressure from twins that caused my cervix to shorten. I got the cerclage at 16 weeks and got it taken out at 34 weeks then gave birth to my son at 37 weeks after an induction. My cervix stayed long during this pregnancy. I got the cerclage out early as I was having tons of contractions and preterm labor. For some reason when we took it out things settled down. I have another friend with incompetent cervix who had two cerclages and has 2 children now. I say watch for bleeding or any contractions that are consistent and close together. I felt pressure often but my son stayed in. I'm wishing you luck in this pregnancy!

mommybooboo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019 at 10:35 AM »
I got cerclage @19 weeks, cervix measuring 1.6 cm that time. It was an emergent cerclage because my cervix was starting to funneled. Now, I'm 27 weeks and 3 days and on bedrest since after the cerclage. The pressure and some pains are just normal especially on the first few weeks after the cerclage. Just keep praying and think positive. 😇

Mamaato

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019 at 11:13 AM »
I had a preventive cerclage at 13 weeks and currently 25 weeks. I also feel heavy but only if I have been standing or sitting for long periods. Try to put your feet up and listen to your body.

tdgdeguz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019 at 03:23 PM »
I had an emergency cerclage put in at 20wks we literally saw my cervix change from being closed at 2.8cm to opening within 4mins of a transvaginal ultrasound. I wasadmitted into hospital that afternoon for a stitch and placed on modified bedrest since. I’m now 28wks + 4days.

The pressure and niggling pain is normal as I had them for 2wks post the cerclage. I have weekly scans, only abdominal
as my OB doesn’t want to necessarily ‘disturb’ things but cervix has been stable and I have gained length back.

As long as you don’t have painful contractions, bleeding or signs of infection you’re fine.

I’d restrict your activities and rest as much as you can.

julialynn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019 at 03:05 PM »
thank you all so much for the replies and good thoughts. i had a transvaginal ultrasound yesterday (one week post cerclage) and the tech said that my cerclage was holding good so far with very little funneling. i do know there was 1.3cm under the stitch i didn’t get the number above the stitch. my doctor told me no more work but said no bed rest just limit my activities (not sure what exactly that means). i have another ultrasound this week just praying everything stays how it’s supposed to.

Mamaato

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019 at 06:27 PM »
This great news. I believe in bedrest but of course it depends on an individual's cervical history

tdgdeguz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019 at 04:32 PM »
That’s fantastic news!

Restricted activity as described by my OB is not to over do anything. I qas put on pelvic rest (no swimming, baths or sex), no housekeeping, no lifting above 5kgs and just to ‘potter’ around (I used to do a lot of waking and hiking so I haven’t done that since I was 18wks).

I suggest to ask your OB to clarify what restricted activity means for you as everyone is different depending on their needs.

I too believe in bedrest, its gotten me to 29wks today 😊

julialynn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019 at 12:04 PM »
All was well at my 2 weeks post cerclage check up. I am sad that they will no longer be doing ultrasounds to check my cervix since I do have the cerclage now. it was nice to see baby often.   :-\ Next ultrasound is 28 weeks (i am now 22 weeks). I finally got clear instructions for my modified activities, which was rest 18 hours (which includes sleep) and up for 3-5. Thank you all for yalls replies and I will try to keep updated. I am very happy to have joined this group.

julialynn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019 at 09:10 AM »
I ended up in l&d last night  :'( i was having weird back pains and tightness and my cerclage felt uncomfortable. After being monitored it showed I was having contractions 2-3 minutes apart that i didn’t even know were happening. the doctor checked my cerclage and there wasn’t any tension on it and my cervix was still firm and closed. since i’m only 22 weeks 3 days they sent me home with indocin. i am so scared and anxious about this because i didn’t even feel the contractions! they said my uterus being irritable could have been from diarrhea from my makena (just switched from the auto injector to the shot in the hip and got different side effects). i wish we knew what caused the contractions because i haven’t had any before or since my cerclage.

Mamaato

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019 at 09:39 AM »
I am so sorry to hear you are contracting. Can you place yourself on strict bedrest at home? Praying for you and baby.

julialynn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019 at 10:30 AM »
thank you for prayers. i am going to try to be on strict bedrest. i have only been getting up for bathroom trips. the doctor thinks i might have an irritable uterus since my cervix didn’t change. hoping it calms down after three days of indocin and hopefully it was just from some dehydration.

Juliejuju

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019 at 02:58 PM »
I’m so glad things are calming down for you! I was put on strict bed rest with a stitch in (3rd cerclage, 4th baby- 3 kids under 5) due to funneling and tension on the stitch. With each cerclage I have pain, pressure/tension and pinching. When I stopped moving, went on bedrest, my symptoms went away. Rest rest rest!

julialynn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019 at 07:28 AM »
yes I have noticed I do feel a lot better now that I have been doing less! i still don’t know what contractions really feel like but whenever I feel any kind of pulling/tightening I just lay really still for a while to see if it goes away. four more weeks until 28 weeks and it seems so far away  :-\