Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Short cervix with twins  (Read 901 times)

Lauren237

• View Profile
Short cervix with twins
« on: January 11, 2019 at 03:45 PM »
Hi all, I'm currently 29+5 weeks pregnant with di/di twins and have been on modified bed rest since 24 weeks.

My cervix length was completely normal at my 20 week ultrasound but had gone down to 1.4cm at 24 weeks. I was not a candidate for cerclage at that time, but immediately stopped working, started progesterone suppositories, and modified bed rest at home. I have been having weekly ultrasounds since 24 weeks and cervix length has remained stable so far!

I'm grateful that we have made it this far - at 24 weeks I thought 28 weeks seemed impossibly far away. However I still have quite a bit of anxiety (worse at night) and obviously want the twins to stay in for as long as possible. Also bed rest is hard! I haven't been sleeping well and have pretty bad hip/pelvic pain off and on. Any advice is appreciated!

Kttwins

• View Profile
Re: Short cervix with twins
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019 at 12:21 PM »
Hi there! We are in similar boats! My cervix was measuring normal at 20 weeks (to the point of joking about my cervix of steel) and then by 23w2d I was in preterm labor and it was 1cm thick and dilating. I'm on progesterone now and having weekly ultrasounds as well. They aren't measuring my cervix every time - but my next measurement is the end of this week. You are a bit ahead of me I am 29w1d today. Mine are di/di also. :)

Lauren237

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019 at 05:42 PM »
That sounds so similar to me and looks like we're only a week apart! I'm sorry to hear you're also going through this but it is comforting to know I'm not alone :)

Goldielocks1881

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019 at 09:36 PM »
I too just found out last week my cervix was between .5 and .9 mm at 23 weeks. This was after it was a solid 40mm at 19 weeks. It happened so fast! Now I’m on progesterone and bed rest. It’s nice to hear similar situations and making it pretty far! 29 weeks sounds amazing!! Hoping the time passes quickly.

Lauren237

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019 at 04:17 PM »
Hi Goldielocks,

Just to give you an update I'm now 33+6 and still pregnant! The last they checked my cervix it was down to 0.8 cm about 2 weeks ago, and now I don't think they'll check it anymore.

I can't believe I've been on bedrest for almost 10 weeks. At the beginning it seemed so impossible to make it this far. But time does keep passing!

I wish you the best and hopefully my story gives you some encouragement that you can stay pregnant for quite some time with a short cervix.

Lauren

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019 at 04:10 PM »
Hey, Lauren! Big congrats on hitting 34! Your story will definitely inspire other moms! Keep those babies cookin'! Hope to see you on the Live Chat tomorrow at 2 pm Eastern.

Goldielocks: Hope to see you, too!

Lauren237

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019 at 02:42 PM »
Hi all,

I wanted to update you and officially call this a success story!

We made it to 37+5 weeks, and were actually scheduled for an induction the following day because twins do best if born before 38 weeks. These two had their own idea, and I went into labour naturally.

I gave birth to a healthy twin girl (5lbs 9oz) and boy (6lbs 9oz) on March 7th. They each needed just a little help from pediatrics, but no NICU or special nursery time. They stayed in our room with us for 3 nights in the hospital and then we were all sent home :)

I want to give other people hope that everything can turn out okay! The 3 months of 'high risk' pregnancy and bed rest were so so difficult but as soon as it's over it will feel like a distant memory and I wouldn't change a thing to have these two sweet babies here safe and sound.

Thanks for everyone's support <3

Lauren

Linds

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019 at 10:19 AM »
Congratulations Lauren on the birth of your little ones! Enjoy every minute!

Mamaato

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019 at 07:36 PM »
Hi Lauren,

Congratulations on the birth of your babies. Your story is really inspiring!!!