Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Made it to 24 weeks praying to make it it 28  (Read 369 times)

Kellymay2019

• View Profile
Made it to 24 weeks praying to make it it 28
« on: January 14, 2019 at 04:32 AM »
My crazy pregnancy nightmare started on December 31  during my atomic scan. I was told that I had a short cervix of 1.3 and funneling I had no idea what that meant but I was told that I would be scheduled for an emergency Cerclage the upcoming Friday. That Friday the surgeon had to place my emergency Cerclage carefully after he realized I had bulging membranes. Since then I’ve been a ball of emotions because I still have some funneling and short cervix measurements between 1.2-1.5. I finally made it 24 weeks and got my first set of steroid shots for the baby’s lung.. I need some positive stories and reinforcements I really want my baby girl to stay in as long as possible I just hate the feeling that my body is failing my baby girl.. I pray a lot and that’s the only thing that’s been keeping me sane through this whole ordeal and Bedrest.

Lauren237

• View Profile
Re: Made it to 24 weeks praying to make it it 28
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019 at 07:04 PM »
Hi Kellymay,

I absolutely know how you are feeling. They found my cervix was at 1.4 with funnelling at 24 weeks, the Drs thought it was too risky for a cerclage so they recommended bed rest and progesterone. I felt like a ticking time bomb, not knowing if I would go into labour later that day or week.

The good news is I'm now 30 weeks, and my short cervix has been stable at 1.4 for the last 6 weeks. Hoping for another 6 weeks but also feeling very grateful that we made it this far.

While short cervix is a risk factor for preterm labour, it can hold! Also know that you're doing everything you can at this point, and every day that passes is a small victory.

Lauren

Kellymay2019

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019 at 10:05 PM »
Hi Lauren,
Thanks for your story funny enough I plan to name this lil munchkin Lauren as well!! :)...  sometimes i just wonder if everything is ok with my cervix but I met with my mfm doctor today who assured me that my cervix remained stable at 1.4- 1.6. Also that my cerviX was closed and that the Cerclage was holding. Congrats on getting to 30 weeks you will Get to the other 6 weeks... let’s keep in touch and best of luck with your lil bundle!

Lauren237

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019 at 10:07 PM »
Great name choice  :)

Also wonderful news from the doctor!

Kttwins

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019 at 05:16 PM »
Hang in there! I was diagnosed with preterm labor and a short cervix (1cm thick and dilated 1cm) at 23w2d. I am having twins so I wasn't a good candidate for a cerclage. I was started on mag sulfate followed by a few different medications to stop contractions and finally progesterone supplements. I was in the hospital for a month and then sent home after a follow up cervical evaluation showed my cervix was thicker (2.3cm). I am now 29w1d and home on bedrest. My next cervical evaluation is the end of this week and I'm nervous/excited to see where it is now.

Kellymay2019

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019 at 01:11 AM »
Well hi kTtwins!!
Congrats to making it to 29 weeks almost at 30 exciting!!!  Your story gives me hope that I can make it as far and hopefully start measuring longer! Good luck with your upcoming appointment I hope the babies are doing well!!!! Keep us posted.

Shaquitta

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019 at 07:36 AM »
Hello ladies. Aside from praying and trusting in the Lord, you ladies give me a lot of hope. Jan 3rd I had 2 cerclages put in and was completely closed. I dilated 1cm since, but wasn’t on bedrest after the cerclage. My doctor told me I can go along with normal activities just pelvic rest. I also have funneling now and my water is flushed with the stitches. I’m 19wks praying everyday to get to 24wks and then making it to 30wks. Although my doctor told me I didn’t have to be on complete bedrest, I chose to stay on bedrest due to my primary care doctor recommending I should, I was given directions to do so in prior pregnancies with less complications, & I see other women saying bedrest really helped them to make it to 30wks or more. I’m also taking the progesterone shots every week. I’ve had steroid shots for the baby lungs in my last pregnancy and they truly do work. I pray you ladies also have healthy babies!

Kttwins

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019 at 05:11 PM »
Welcome Shaquitta! I think bedrest has really helped me make it this far! Anything that keeps pressure off the cervix has to help right? I got steroid shots twice (once on my initial admission and a rescue dose when I was readmitted the second time) and I keep joking they must be superhero breathers in there by now.

My update from when I last posted: I did get readmitted to the hospital straight from my outpatient appointment. My cervix was short again and even more dilated. I got a second round of mag sulfate and they switched my maintenance medication to stop the contractions. I'm still having them so we shall see where my cervix is at 32 weeks (next week) when they recheck it.