Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 3rd cerclage and bed rest as last ditch effort  (Read 568 times)

Juliejuju

• View Profile
3rd cerclage and bed rest as last ditch effort
« on: January 21, 2019 at 03:40 PM »
I am pregnant with baby # 4, 3rd cerclage.

I went into labor with baby #1 at 23 weeks, dilated to 3.5, 90% effaced. IV meds to stop labor and strict hospital bed rest and of course progesterone and betamethasone to prep lungs. I eventually delivered at 32 weeks. Daughter was in NICU for a month and had some issues for the first year. She is 5 now.

Diagnosed with incompetent cervix. Very healthy adult, no health issues at all. I’m a pediatric nurse.

With baby #2 we kept monitoring and around 19 weeks cervix shortened a lot with funneling, having little to no symptoms. Rescue cerclage placed. A lot of pain with stitch, many infections, many hospital visits, of course progesterone but no bed rest. Stitch removed at 37 weeks and immediately dilated to 4cm. We all were twiddling our thumbs. She was born full term at 39 weeks! Doctors are still shocked that it turned out that way. Every pregnancy is different! She is 4 now.

With Baby #3 we monitored a lot sooner and at 18 weeks noticed cervix shorten, a lot. Cerclage placed. Lots of infections, even more triage hospital visits, a lot of pain and pinching and of course progesterone. Considered redoing stitch as it was unbearable but decided we could lose baby so I toughed it out. No bed rest. At 36 weeks I went into labor with stitch in but ignored it because I kept thinking, I have a stitch in place, I would know if I was in labor. Contractions got worse/pain intense and I went into hospital in so much pain as stitch was tearing through. Epidural and stitch removed in OR and delivered 5 hours later. She is 2.5 now and fine other than born with sensorineural hearing loss discovered at birth, not related to any prenatal history or birth. She wears hearing aids (since 6 weeks old) and attends a private school and doing fantastic.

Now with baby # 4 we monitored but I wanted a cerclage to cut down on transvaginal u/s and infections/trauma. Again didn’t have symptoms other than back ache and pressure. Cerclage scheduled for 18 weeks but moved it up due to advanced shortening. Barely had cervix left to stitch. So much pain, pressure, back pain. Many times in OB triage and hospitalized briefly. My body felt/still feels so heavy, constant back pain and discharge. At the time, i advocated for an u/s to check stitch and I was 0.8 with funneling on the stitch. I did not want to be hospitalized and promised to quit my job, get all day assistance for 3 kids and to comply to strict bed rest at home. Not my first rodeo here.
The high risk doc laid it all out and said we are out of options. Because I cannot feel my contractions or dilation until about 6 cm and I went into labor with the stitch in, he was wanting to hospitalize me. Risk that I would tear through stitch resulting in uterine rupture and a 27 weeker in NICU. He gave betamethasone injections to prep babies lungs and agreed to send me home that night. The next day he agreed to give me one week at home on strict bed rest. He said there is no such thing as bed rest with 3 small kids but knew I was a nurse and was very serious about avoiding the prison of the hospital.
After 1 week, cervix no longer funneling as bad and measured 1.1cm. Bed rest doing its job and Doc agreed to let me continue bed rest at home. It’s been almost 4 weeks on strict bed rest at home and hopefully another 4-6 weeks. Getting progesterone injections, seen every week and terrified to be admitted into hospital. Having a lot of pain and pinching and in general a lot of issues with the stitch but trying to be optimistic. We have been through the alternative, hospital bed rest and NICU. We’ve been through a lot but have a community to support us and an awesome husband.

Anyone else had several cerclages? Did each one feel worse?

Mamaato

• View Profile
Re: 3rd cerclage and bed rest as last ditch effort
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019 at 04:11 PM »
Thank you for sharing and congratulations on getting this far. This is my 4th preventive cerclage and I have found it to be more difficult than my previous ones. I worked past my due date with my past 3 cerclages. For this pregnancy I have begun on bedrest since week 20. I am 27wk3days now

Shaquitta

• View Profile
Re: 3rd cerclage and bed rest as last ditch effort
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019 at 02:07 PM »
Thank you for sharing. I’m in a similar situation. I was terrified when the doctor told me my cervix was funneling and my water bag was flushed with the stitches. I’m 1cm dilated and pray it stays there until I get to 24wks(1st goal). I’m currently at 18wks6days. I’m also on strict bedrest although my doctor told me I can still do normal day activities. But I know from prior pregnancies I should be completely on strict bedrest.