Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 26 weeks 5 days and 1.5 thinning cervix  (Read 614 times)

Samira

• View Profile
26 weeks 5 days and 1.5 thinning cervix
« on: February 02, 2019 at 02:26 PM »
Hi everyone

I'm so lost not sure what to think but staying positive and praying I started fertility treatment with meds in 2017 had 2 early miscarriages chemical pregnancy. Then tried for months got my bfp thank God in Aug 2018 now I'm 26 weeks 4 days and they've been watching me since 24 weeks and 5 days due to thinning cervix well last reading was 1.5 I was sent to the hospital and got the 1st dose of steroids for babys lungs will be getting 2nd in a like 2 hours,  On progesterone and bed rest.

I just want to know if anyone else has gone through this or is going through it, very scared i just want my baby to be healthy and have a long healthy life  and be a family. I dont know.what to expect I just want my baby to survive and be healthy it's our 1st child I'm 26 yrs old,praying for a miracle and hoping everything will be ok.

Does anyone else know after getting these shots when to expect baby I know its days works best 24 hours after shots up 7 days. Does that mean baby is coming in a week? Will see my dr on tues and update everyone thank u so much for taking the time to read this.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019 at 02:28 PM by Samira »

Lauren237

• View Profile
Re: 26 weeks 5 days and 1.5 thinning cervix
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019 at 03:40 PM »
Hi Samira,

My story sounds very similar to yours! My cervix was 1.4cm at 24 weeks after being normal at 20 weeks. We were so scared and upset when we found out, I was also put on progesterone and modified bed rest. To give you some hope, I'm now 32+5 weeks and still pregnant!

If they've given you the steroids, I think they can help improve lung function for up to two weeks, although more effective in the first week. The doctors can't know for sure if you will go into labour during this time but they are playing it safe incase you do.

Try to stay positive and know you are doing everything you can!

Lauren

Samira

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019 at 09:55 PM »
Hi Lauren

Thank u sooo much for replying its really given me hope after reading this I've been searching  like crazy to see what I can find. I dont have any symptoms thank God but it showed on the ultrasound and I just got the 2nd shot today I'm so relieved and happy for you to hear that u and baby are still going and  doing great praying that same happens to me and I make to full term its scary to think having ur baby early and fighting for his or her life  and leaving baby behind  at hospital not able to bring them home or be there with them 24/7.

It was great to hear from you thank you so much again and wishing u and baby all the best and good health  :-*

bed bound and down

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019 at 07:15 AM »
Even if they give you steroid shots it doesn't mean your guaranteed to go into labor within a certain time period. it could be days, it could be weeks. The important thing is for them to monitor you, and to be close to a hospital with a good NICU if it becomes necessary.
If you do deliver prematurely know that even if you have a harder road ahead of you than you thought, there will be joy as well. I delivered my daughter at 29 weeks, she spent 2 months in the hospital before we were able to take her home. I definitely attribute her short hospital stay to the steroid shots I recieved in the weeks leading up to her birth. Today she is a vibrant 4 yr old who keeps everyone on their toes. I also have twin nephews who were delivered at 25 weeks 1 day. They required 8 months in the hospital, but have defied all expectations and are thriving 11 yr olds. I attribute their good outcomes to the steroid shots and the lung surfactant given to them.
 I also have sisters that were born prematurely at 30 weeks. At the time 30 weeks was considered the cusp of viability and my parents were told to be prepared for them to pass. However my sister's also beat the odds.
So much advancement has been made both in the ability to delay labor, and the care of preterm infants that if you make it past 27 weeks the long term out comes are pretty good. Of course the longer they stay in the better.
If you do deliver prematurely the time your child spends in the NICU can be gut wrenching. There are ups an downs, good days and bad. It's more nerve wracking then the pregnancy, but it is survivable.

I'm currently trying to keep myself from going crazy on modified bedrest as well. If you have any questions about surviving the NICU experience or premature infant care please don't hesitate to ask.

Samira

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019 at 10:20 AM »
Thank you so much for responding I'll definitely contact you if I have any questions. Its was so good to read ur story gave me alot of hope. I'm 27 weeks today and they are monitoring me and the baby at the hospital. I was told if anything happens and babys coming come straight to labour and delivery and they will transport me to Toronto ( i live in brampton Ontario ) where they deal with premature babies. I guess the cities best NICU

I'm glad I was given the  shots  as a precaution, I'm praying baby stays put for as long as possible. I'm staying positive now after see alot of you tube videos and also reading these wonderful comments.

And I wish you all the best with your baby and I'm also on bed rest it's not easy but I love to knit self taught so maybe you try a hobby or reading which might help. I've notice when I'm told to rest I get restless and dont want to  sit still lol.

Good luck and thanks again