Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Newbie...27+4. Preterm labor and on magnesium  (Read 1304 times)

Madison

• View Profile
Newbie...27+4. Preterm labor and on magnesium
« on: February 04, 2019 at 08:16 AM »
Hi 😊 I’m currently in the hospital on a 24 hour Magnesium drip. I am 27+ 4 and have had an extremely irritable uterus since the beginning. I normally get about 20-50 random contractions a day. Yesterday at work however I started getting them frequent and felt like throwing up from the pain. I actually work in a Neonatal ICU so I went right downstairs to triage and was having contractions 1-3 minutes apart. The three rounds of Terbutaline stopped my contractions but the doctor wanted steroids and Magnesium for the lung/ neuroprotective qualities for LO since this was my second time requiring a round of terbutaline for contractions. I’m waiting to get an ultrasound this morning to get an exact measurement on my cervix.... Dr said I was a fingertip dilated and that my cervix felt a little shorter and thinner yesterday. I’m hoping to hear some similar stories and get some encouragement as I’m laying here in the hospital!

Mamaato

• View Profile
Re: Newbie...27+4. Preterm labor and on magnesium
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019 at 11:15 AM »
Hi  I am sorry going through this. Can you try to stop work and get placed on bedrest? The rest might help. Good luck

Lauren237

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019 at 03:40 PM »
Hi Madison,

They found my cervix was very short (1.4 cm) at 24 weeks and since then it's shortened to 0.8 cm. Now at 33 weeks and still pregnant, never thought we'd make it this far! I've been on modified bed rest at home.

I haven't experienced painful contractions yet, but I know others on the forum have been in and out of hospital with signs of labour and have remained pregnant.

Hang in there!

Lauren

Madison

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019 at 03:34 AM »
Hey Lauren!

Congrats on making it so far! That is really amazing!

Goldielocks1881

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019 at 04:37 AM »
I am curious Madison the switch from your usual contractions to the painful was, I’m assuming it was obvious? I’m a first time mom and having twins and have had braxton Hicks similar to yours. A random 20-30 times a day and that’s while on bed rest (which I currently am) before this is was likely much more. I’ve had bouts where they come every 10 minutes for say 45 minutes then I get them to stop. I have a very short cervix (less than 1 cm) so my concer has been if I start to dilate and have real contractions...I hope I know! They said it should feel like menstrual cramps? And you say you also felt nauseous?

Madison

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019 at 04:05 PM »
So for me the change in contraction intensity was super obvious. Instead of my normal braxton hick tightening type contractions it would tighten over my entire lower stomach and then feel like a really sharp pain. And this was happening 1-3 minutes apart. Normally I just find braxton hicks to be annoying but these were causing quite a bit of pain. I felt like throwing up I think just from how hard my abdomen was being squeezed...hope this helps!!!