Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Hoping for the best  (Read 1037 times)

Laura.OG

• View Profile
Hoping for the best
« on: February 20, 2019 at 08:37 PM »
Hi ladies! I’ve been searching this forum for success stories over the last few months, and been encouraged by so many. I lost my baby boy last May (2018) at 22 weeks 2 days. We never had any idea why, and as we were stationed in Ethiopia, unfortunately there was a huge language barrier and also very few medical resources. I found out I was pregnant again in October 2018, and I am 19 weeks as of today! We decided this time around that I would come back to the US to stay with my family for the second half of pregnancy so that I could be close to good health care, and luckily I have an amazing MFM this time around. I went for my mid-pregnancy scan two days ago, and discovered that my cervix is only measuring at 1.94 cm. My doctor immediately put me on progesterone suppositories, and scheduled a check up for next week to see it it’s holding steady. He told me to take it easy, but doesn’t advocate bed rest. Even so, I’ve felt frustratingly fragile, and I’m sure some of you can identify—just constantly nervous about every ache and worrying that movement will do something bad. It’s really hard mentally and emotionally to get through each day with some hope still intact. I want this little girl to stay cooking as long as possible, so thought I’d share my story and give updates along the way. I am hoping against hope that I will have encouraging things to share as I go along.

Lauren237

• View Profile
Re: Hoping for the best
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019 at 06:49 PM »
Hi Laura,

I'm so sorry for your loss last year. That must have been heartbreaking and I'm sure making this pregnancy even more challenging for you.

Definitely don't lose hope this time around! I have learned that a cervix can be short but strong. My cervix was 1.4cm at 24 weeks (must have shortened sometime between 20-24 weeks) and didn't change at all until 31 weeks where it was down to 0.8cm. Now at 35+5 and still pregnant (we stopped measuring cervix after 32). No cerclage but on progesterone suppositories.

My doctor also didn't advocate for strict bed rest but told me to stop working right away and "take it easy", no lifting or straining. I sort of translated this into modified bed rest because it was easier to communicate to friends and family, and I have remained off my feet as much as possible.

I found the mental/emotional struggle to be the hardest part, and looking back I think I was pretty depressed for the first month at least. I used to write out little words of encouragement to look at every time my anxiety was getting out of control (e.g. "I will be strong and brave for these babies"; "I am grateful for another day still pregnant"). Also tried to accept that whatever was happening biologically in my body was out of my control, and certainly worrying wasn't going to change the course of events. Meditation podcasts and apps have been helpful for me too.

Sending you positive thoughts! There are many short cervix success stories on this forum to give you encouragement! And know that whatever happens you can handle it.

Lauren

Laura.OG

• View Profile
Re: Hoping for the best
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019 at 03:44 PM »
Hi Lauren, thanks so much for the kind words and for sharing your story! Congrats on making it so far, I hope you’re still doing well and looking forward to that finish line!

I had my cervix check today and it has shortened further to 1.3 cm, with funneling. So, looks like it may be an incompetent cervix issue after all. Fortunately the cervix length I have left is still tightly closed and the mucus plug is still there, too.

My doctor is scheduling me for the cerclage surgery either tomorrow or Wednesday, as fast as they can get me in. I’m nervous but also grateful that they’re getting it done. I think I’ll breathe easier, and it seems to have a good success rate!