Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Depression during pregnancy  (Read 649 times)

AidansMom

• View Profile
Depression during pregnancy
« on: March 07, 2019 at 02:17 PM »

Hello
This is my first time using a chat group. I am 27 weeks pregnant with a baby boy. I have a history of depression. Recently I've been feeling very down on myself about my weight gain and I just feel very uncomfortable and unattractive which makes me even more depressed when I eat. I've spoken with my doctor and they have recommended medication..if possible I would like to keep my body drug free. I haven't really had good luck with medication in the past. Lately I've even been getting anxious about my baby shower I really can't find the excitement in it. I just feel very guilty for being depressed while I'm pregnant because I know I should be happy. Which I am very excited to meet my little boy. But for whatever reason I cannot control my depression. Are there any mothers out there that have gone through something similar or are currently dealing with this?

Linds

• View Profile
Re: Depression during pregnancy
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019 at 08:25 PM »
Hi AidansMom,

I suffer from depression too. I had really bad post partum depression after the birth of my first son, and am now having some anxiety and depression during this pregnancy (currently 33 weeks).
I had good success with medication after the birth of my son, and have now been taking the same medication for the last 2 weeks. I think it’s starting to work. I really wanted to get through this pregnancy without medication, but I decided with the help of my doctor that it would be better for me to take it. I am also seeing the therapist I saw after the birth of my first son.
I am hoping to avoid post partum depression this time.

AidansMom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019 at 09:25 PM »

Thank you so much for responding. I am also going to begin therapy soon. My first appointment is at the end March. Did your doctor mention any side effects that could affect the baby? That was my only concern. I'm so glad you were able to find something that works for you. I've tried different medications over the years but have yet to find the right one for me. Right now my biggest trigger seems to be watching my body change and gain weight. But hopefully my therapist can help me get on track once we meet :).

Linds

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019 at 04:25 PM »
The one thing that my doctor mentioned was the possibility of heart defects, but he thought that I was far enough along that it shouldn’t be a concern. I’ve also read about the possibility of the baby going through withdrawal, but hopefully that doesn’t happen to us! I’m on a very low dose of sertraline.