Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Talk to me, ladies! Monday Roll Call for July 19  (Read 3627 times)

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Talk to me, ladies! Monday Roll Call for July 19
« on: July 19, 2010 at 07:06 AM »
Give us an update! How many weeks are you? Any news to report from last week? What are you looking forward to this week? Any appointments coming up?

Did we have any deliveries last week?

I was thrilled to see Leony return to the Forum a few days ago to let us know her daughter is doing great! Leony delivered at 30 weeks, and we hadn't heard from her since then (about 4 months ago), so it was so reassuring and inspiring to hear from her again. You can do it too!

Keep 'em cookin', mamas!
Angela

miasmom

• View Profile
Re: Talk to me, ladies! Monday Roll Call for July 19
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010 at 08:03 AM »
Still at home which is a good thing. I am 27 wks and 3 days. Last wk was really hard for me.  My husband, kids and most of my husbands family went to FL for his brothers wedding.  I cried a lot.  I missed the first time my kids got to get in the ocean or ride a plane.  All I did was watch movies while they were away.  It was the longest 4 days of my life.  I am so happy they are back. 

I have 2 doctors appoinments this week starting with today with the steriod shots.  My dr says I only have to get this wk. Everything I have read says they only last a wk, so won't I need them again?  Other then that nothing going on but trying to keep 2 kids busy.  Also, I have such back pain with laying around anyone know any ideas how to make that feel better.

runner123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010 at 08:45 AM »
I'm now 32weeks, 3 days!  It feels absolutely amazing to have made it past my goal of 32 weeks.  Now every day just feels like a bonus.  With the passing of that milestone and knowing that I am nearing the end of bed rest, my mood has really improved.  I still feel a bit nervous every time that I start to cramp for fear that I'm going into labour, but most of the time I am feeling quite happy.  My next appointment is on Wednesday for the usual cervix check and OB appointment.  For those of you who have been through this before, did your cervix start to shorten at this point in your pregnancy?  I've read some conflicting info about whether it starts to shorten gradually from here to the end and it would be nice to know in case mine is shorter on Wednesday.  Of course, I can ask my doctor too, but I thought I'd ask this group of experts!

hoping4fullterm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010 at 02:44 PM »
I'm exactly 26 weeks today! 
This is a big week for me - once I hit 26 weeks 6 days I will be the MOST pregnant I have ever been!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have my appointment coming up on Wednesday so I'm anxious to see how that goes, find out how my cervix is holding up, etc.  I'm not excited to step on the scale though.  I'd been doing pretty good with my weight gain at 20 or 22 weeks - had gained 10 lbs.  Then at 24 weeks I was at 14-15 lbs up, and I know I've been eating pretty poorly these past 2 weeks, along with laying around - not a good combo.  I stepped on my scale today & it looks like I'm up another 4 lbs in a 2 week time frame  :o  I need to quit snacking!!
I'm excited because I just heard back from a professional photographer that took family pictures for us last summer and am hoping to schedule some pregnancy photos.  I really wanted to do this w/ my 1st but she was born before it could happen.  She recommends doing them around 7-8 months, so I really hope I make it that long!!  We're trying to coordinate something for around the time I'll be 30-31 weeks.  I hope it all works out! 

Miasmom - I'm glad that your family is back again, that would be hard to have them away & miss out on those things :(
I'm a little confused at your question about the steroids....your doctor is recommending them now, and then not repeating?
I got a round of steroids at 24 weeks - two shots, 24 hours apart.  From talking to the nurses, it sounds like in the past they would only give the shots once in the pregnancy.  (You are right, it looks like the known benefit of them only lasts about a week).  But, several of them stated that in the past year, the perinatologists there have started repeating them if needed.  That was my big dilemma in deciding to get them or not at 24 weeks - would I be unable to get it if I ended up in PTL again later?  They gave me the impression that if I did go into labor a few weeks again down the road, that if the doctors didn't suggest it, I could probably talk them into repeating it if they thought delivery was imminent.  So it may just be what your doctor's practice is, but worth discussing?!

babyhope

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010 at 03:55 PM »
Hi there!  I'm still here at 28 weeks.  Had one trip to the hospital last week for contractions.  They gave me a shot of terb, ultrasounds, and monitoring then sent me home.  I had a biophysical profile done for the first time to monitor baby's health.  Both of us are doing great I'm pleased to report.

To respond to a few posts, for the body aches and pains I've been taking calcium citrate supplements.  I've also been getting massages at home which are a total luxury. They make me feel great and very relaxed. 

Regarding steroids both my obgyn and perinatologist do not like to administer earlier than 28 weeks unless there is a positive ffn or cervix below some point.  I'm unclear on what that is though.  My obgyn does not believe in another rescue course but my perinatologist does if delivery is possible before 32 weeks. 

Regarding cervical length, I think anything is possible.  It is a muscle and can be dynamic.  Both my obgyn and perinatologist stop cervical measurements at 32 weeks and instead do fetal body scans.  My friend was totally effaced at 24 weeks then went back up to 1.5 at 32 weeks.  She took herself off bedrest and carried until 36 weeks for all 3 of her pregnancies.  My last pregnancy I got progressively shorter at 31 weeks and delivered at 34 weeks.  My son was 4 lbs 12 oz and could eat and breathe on his own.  He spent 2 weeks in NICU eating, sleeping and growing.  He's had great health from the start.  My brith

Luvmytieren

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010 at 11:45 PM »
I'm 32 weeks and 3 days today.  I have been off full bed rest and on modified bed rest for almost a week now.  I haven't done much outside the house but the little things make my mood much better!  Unfortunately after 5 months of complete bed rest my body can't keep up and I tire very easily.  It's hard to readjust not just to small physical movements, but also just to the stimulation of things outside the house.  And my body isn't used to carrying a baby since we've been laying down for 5 months.  I have had 3 days of contractions in the last week.  Each lasted several hours to half a day but weren't painful and baby was still moving around so I didn't go to ER.  Just laid on my side and drank lots of water.  I am sure I will get yelled at by my OB on Wednesday!  I haven't been doing cirvical checks at my appointments due to my various conditions but I'm going to request one this week.  I dropped & started to eface at 34 weeks with my last and I'm worried that may be the case again since I've been having so many contractions.  But I am carrying so low that I wouldn't be able to tell if I dropped!  Are any other long term bed resters noticing that they are carrying really low?  I figure it's because my muscles haven't had to do any work. 
It's good to hear so many of you ladies meeting goals and making it another day!  Awesome work to all!

Margaret

miasmom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010 at 08:49 AM »
Thank you for your imput.  I see my doctor again to day but just for the 2nd shot.  He said my cervix is holding up and is unchanged.  I am so excited.  He says hed doesn't think I will deliver until after 32 wks.  I am so excited about that.  I am hoping to make if farther which would be wonderful.  My daughter was born at 35 wks 4 days and spent a wk in the NICU.  I really don't want to have to leave the hospital with out a child again.  I have been on bed rest for 5 wks already and it has flown by,  hope the rest goes this smooth.  Good luck this wk everyone hope it is a good one.

miasmom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010 at 08:56 AM »
I wanted to say somehing about the weight gain because I too have gain a lots of weight latly. Up until I was put on bed rest I was walking 4 miles a day (I was training for a half marthon before I became prego, so 4 miles was short to me).  But it seems like every wk I go I am up another 2 lbs.  But with you it might be the baby going though a grown spurt.  That might be why you are snacking so much plus, only one the only things to do :( I would not worry about it unless your doctor says something about it.  Hope you have a good report this wk.

hoping4fullterm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010 at 10:13 PM »
Today was my 26 week appointment. Everything went very well!!!!!!
We started with my ultrasound, and my cervix is holding up very well. It is unchanged from where it has been over the past 4 weeks.  The 1st two measurements were even at 4.0 cm (I was that back at 18 and/or 20 wks!) but the next few were at 3.5 cm, so that is what she recorded. But that's exactly where I was the past 2 scans. So I'm very happy with this! We also learned that baby has moved positions yet again. Four weeks ago baby was head down, two weeks ago baby was transverse/sideways, and today baby is breech/butt down!!! I know there's a lot of activity going on in there Just so baby returns to head down before it's time to come out, we're all good!
After the ultrasound was my usual visit with my MW. Everything else looked good - my blood pressure, weight, fundal height, etc are good. (I've had a headache all day Monday & Tuesday, even through the night - so my 1st thought was what if my BP sky rocketed - but it didn't; still 110/62.) I expressed concern about worrying that I will gain weight more quickly with me just laying around so much. She did give me the OK to go for "short, leisurely walks" and to lift some 5 lb. hand weights so that I at least have some sort of muscle to carry a baby around in a few months!  Oh, and she said short shopping trips are OK :)  Just as long as I'm not doing any heavy lifting or pushing. I thought I was going to be + 4 or 5 lbs since 2 wks ago but it was only 2 lbs, so I'm happy with that! I think I'm at 15 lbs total now.
The nurse asked me if I was really nervous this week (she was actually one of the NICU nurses when Olivia was in there!), knowing that this is the week Olivia arrived, but I'm actually just very excited!! Once I hit Sunday, I will be the most pregnant I've ever been and I'm so so excited!!! I feel like I'm on cloud 9 right now -just feeling upbeat & confident that 26 weeks 5 days will come and go and hopefully be left far behind in the dust!!!
I've already almost completed one "first" for this pregnancy and that is going through prenatal classes (hypnobirthing) - I had class number 3 of 4 tonight & I also am working on scheduling some pregnancy photos with the gal that took our family pictures last summer - this was another thing that I wanted to do with Olivia, but didn't get a chance to do.
My next appointment is in 2 weeks and it will be a lengthy one. I will have my usual ultrasound to check my cervical length along with a "growth" ultrasound to recheck the baby's kidneys. I have to redo my glucose screening for gestational diabetes, which I did 2 weeks ago when I spent the night in the hospital. I passed it then, but I guess the accuracy at 24 weeks isn't very good compared to doing at 28 weeks. So lucky me!! I will also have my usual visit with my MW and also a visit with the Perinatologist (high risk OB doctor) for routine VBAC counseling. I better remember to take a book with me because I think I'll be there a while!