Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Am I crazy for worrying about cervix funneling at 20.5 wks with 3.3 cm length?  (Read 549 times)

alineinasong

• View Profile
Hi,
I'm new to this forum but looking for some guidance. I've been experiencing intermittent cramping, vaginal pressure, and back achiness for probably the past couple of weeks. This past Monday, I learned at my 20wk ultrasound that I have some cervical funneling, but that the functional length below the funneling is 3.3cm. I will be 21 weeks on Friday. The doctor asked me to come back in two weeks for a recheck and recommended no other actions because my 1st pregnancy went to 39 weeks successfully and I have no history of cervix or uterine surgery other than my c-section.

Of course, I'm freaking out. I know I don't meet criteria for progesterone, etc, at 3.3 but I'm wondering whether there's something I should be doing to preserve my length since funneling was present. Is there a chance that the funneling is not going to shorten my cervix? I just feel like I'm waiting for my cervix to shorten and then they will decide to take action when I have gotten into a more dire situation. Am I being overly paranoid?

Karla

• View Profile
I completely understand your anxiety. I don’t believe there is anything you can do at this point. It will just depend on your next cervical length. If you are extremely concerned you could ask to be checked in a week instead of two.
I experienced funneling, then a shortened cervix and the finale dilating before an emergency cervical stitch was placed at 22 weeks. This was all in a four week period. That being said the medical team I’m being looked after by said my situation was unusual as I had 3 previous pregnancies to term with no previous issues with my cervix.
Best of luck. At least 3.3cm is a really good length for a cervix!

alineinasong

• View Profile
Thank you! It’s so hard to stay calm before 24 weeks (as I’m sure you know well). I’m going to see if they’ll check me tomorrow for peace of mind since if this cervix issue isn’t hurting the baby, I’m sure my anxiety is haha.

Karla

• View Profile
I think mental health is really important and if checking reassures you that is never a bad thing. Good luck!