Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: *UPDATE-STM- 1.1cm cervix at 25 weeks  (Read 1638 times)


  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Thanks for joining! Has Keep 'Em Cookin' helped you? Please give $2 or more to help stay online:
    • View Profile
*UPDATE-STM- 1.1cm cervix at 25 weeks
« on: June 23, 2019 at 08:16 AM »
Hi all.sorry for the long post.
I was initially diagnosed with short funneling cervix 1.5cm at my 20 weeks scan.Then it increased to
2.2 cm with no funnelling -20 weeks 3 days
2.7 cm no funneling - 21 weeks 3 days

So actually confident n happy with this increase but the length actually fell from 2.7cm to 1.1cm in 4 weeks on 25 weeks(Friday) .i just had steroid shots for the baby today cos my FFN tear also came back positive at 59 (8% of going into labour in the next 2 weeks)
i m so scared and trying to be positive.Everything sounds scary and my first pregnancy was textbook no complications.and I gave birth to my daughter at 38 weeks and she weighed 3.08 kgs.Now with my second baby,since cerclage is off the table I have been reading about Arabin pessary as an alternative.But info abt it is very limited here in Australia.I live in Sydney.I would love to know more abt the Arabin pessary, how to order it, the right dimension for me and last question(any Aussie mom can help me with this) any OB or doctors in Sydney or Australia actually encouraging Arabin pessary or any similar cervical pessary.Any information would be very helpful.Thank you so much.
For those who are looking for Arabin pessary as an alternative, please go for it.I had mine inserted at 25+5 days and my CL was stable at 1.2cm for 2 weeks.Then it went down to .75mm at 28+2weeks and they increased my progesterone dose to 400mg.I m pretty sure tat worked for me.My CL increased to 2cm and stayed stable till my last US at 33+2 days.The vaginal scan was very painful tat day (33+2) and my MFM did tell me tat he thought my cervix was very swollen.I had mild cramping the rest of the day which I thought was normal after a vag US.The next day I started bleeding and went to my local hospital where they decided to remove my pessary n check the source of bleed.I had one speculum and 2 manual checks( was horrible n so so painful).The OB told I was 2 cms dilated and transferred me to another hospital cos they don’t deliver babies under 34 weeks.I started getting mild contractions after the checks.I was monitored the whole night n the contractions and bleeding stopped.An US in the morning showed no dialation n cervix long and closed at 1.2cm.They concluded the bleeding was irritation from vaginal US and since my cervix was soft their fingers would have gone in( hence they thot dialation).I m pretty sure all this constant checking with speculums n hands sent me into labour.I started getting stronger contractions in the night n they found I was dialated to 5cm so fast.My beautiful son was born the next day at 33+5 days at 2kgs crying loudly.We stayed in the SCN for 2 weeks to put on weight n breastfeed.We came home after 16 days when he would have been 36+1 days at 2.45kgs.We are  both doing well.
I still get anxiety and bad dreams about the last 14 weeks of pregnancy when I was in Bedrest.Reading positive stories in this forum helped me a lot during those dark time.I cried every day fearing the worst and also praying God to hold my hands and take me further.
I m not sure if this a success story or if I beat IC I just wanted to tell those going through this situation, Have faith and there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2019 at 09:53 PM by ShirazVino »


  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 12
    • View Profile
Re: STM- 1.1cm cervix at 25 weeks
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019 at 06:53 AM »
I’m sorry to hear your in such an anxious situation. I myself had an emergency cerclage at 22 weeks. I am based in Canberra and have had many discussions with the two obs in charge of my care about women having great success with pegestsrone pessaries on their own. I have been on them myself 12 weeks since my op and believe they have really made a difference. There is a fair bit of research out there about there effects. Wishing you the very best and that Bub stays put as long as possible x