Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Short cervix with no bed rest?  (Read 1290 times)

jt512

• Thanks for joining! Has Keep 'Em Cookin' helped you? Please give $2 or more to help KeepEmCookin.com stay online: paypal.me/angeladavids
    • View Profile
Short cervix with no bed rest?
« on: September 20, 2019 at 08:16 AM »
Hi ladies-

I lost my first pregnancy at 20 weeks after being found with a short cervix at my 18w ultrasound (1.8 cm). They started me on progesterone suppositories and pelvic rest. Within 2 weeks I went into labor and lost our baby girl.

After many miscarriages, I am pregnant again. Had prophylactic cerclage placed at 14 weeks, have been on Makena injections since 16 weeks and my cervix had been measuring >3cm all along. At my 24 week ultrasound, they found my cervix had shortened to 2.8 cm. At the time my MFM doc recommended pelvic rest, no heavy lifting, no strenuous exercise and said we'd recheck in 2 weeks but I pushed for a recheck in 1 week. At the 1 week recheck (3 days ago) it was 1.5cm. Upon exam, they said my cervix is still closed and don't recommend any change in treatment. I asked about bed rest again and they recommend against it. I am getting a second opinion this week.

Is anyone here with a short cervix and who is NOT on bed rest? If so- I need some encouragement! How many weeks before you delivered? I am so worried that not being on bed rest could make things worse and that I'll deliver way earlier than if I wasn't on bed rest.  I'm in the medical field and know all about the research that says that bed rest might not necessarily help/could do more harm, but I am still terrified.

Any encouragement or advice would help. Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019 at 08:32 AM by jt512 »

Daizy_Gurl

• View Profile
Re: Short cervix with no bed rest?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019 at 08:35 PM »
Personally I was on bed rest but I know my OB always discussed how bed rest isn’t conclusive and that we’d never know if it was bed rest that allowed me to successfully carry until 37.5 weeks.

I was diagnosed at 19 weeks with 2.4cm where pelvic rest , avoidance of lifting and progesterone was diagnosed. Then at 24 weeks 0.9cm with internal funneling when bedrest was prescribed and at 28 weeks it had progressed to being “non-existent”. My restrictions were lifted at 35weeks.

Wishing you all the best but my suggestion is if you feel bedrest would be best for you and your mental health then I would insist on it.