Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Week 9 of bedrest - Here is my story  (Read 173 times)

Peppermints Mom

• Thanks for joining! Has Keep 'Em Cookin' helped you? Please give $2 or more to help KeepEmCookin.com stay online: paypal.me/angeladavids
    • View Profile
Week 9 of bedrest - Here is my story
« on: January 01, 2020 at 04:14 PM »
Hi everyone

New to the group and so here is my story.

I was blessed with two previous, uneventful pregnancies, except for both my girls having been breech, thus necessitating C-sections. At 11 weeks, I found out that I was pregnant with our little surprise package, after having no first trimester symptoms except an increase in migraine and pain on the left side of my pelvis, which became progressively worse (turned out to be an ovarian cyst, that has subsequently resolved). (Thought this was amazing given how tired and sick I was during both my previous pregnancies until well into the second trimesters).

Was only able to have my 12 week scan at 14 weeks, but all seemed perfectly fine. One day after my scan however, in the middle of the night, I awoke with severe haemorrhaging accompanied by contractions. At the hospital a scan was done and all was well with the baby, but the cause of the bleed could not be determined at that time. Once the bleeding had decreased to spotting, I was discharged home and placed on strict bedrest for one week, only being allowed to get up to use the bathroom and further remaining in a lying position, trying not to elevate more than approximately 40 degrees. I was also put on progesterone to stop contractions. I had intense pelvic tenderness and it suddenly felt as if I was pregnant for the very first time, with no idea what to expect or what to worry about and what was normal.   

I returned to work a week later after checking in with my doctor, but despite taking it really easy at work and only working half day, I started haemorrhaging again that same afternoon. The next day was filled with very uncomfortable examinations and test to try and determine the cause of the bleed. Baby was still doing good, no signs of any problems, placenta and cervix normal. After all of this the conclusion reached was that there is an artery supplying the womb and/or cervix, which is irritated by movement, resulting in small perforations which causes the bleeding. Nothing really to do about it without risking the pregnancy so I had to remain on the same strict bedrest regime, to prevent possible rupture of the artery. Initially told that this would have to be at least until we reach 27 weeks, to give baby the best chance. Now it seems I may need to stay on bedrest until I deliver. My due date is 28 April 2020.

Bedrest is hard. I expected it to be but there are so many reasons which contribute to how hard it is, which I did not anticipate. I have good days and bad, more good than bad at least but on bad days I just feel so isolated and emotional. I realise that in the bigger scheme of things, 26 weeks is really not such a long time and I try to keep focussed on my little baby boy, who seems quite happy in there as long as I remain a good patient. I am really scared of the effects of a long term bedrest like this though, I am scared because I still experience contractions at times, despite the progesterone, I am scared for my husband, who is under so much stress with having to run the household by himself and on top of everything having been retrenched in December due to the company being liquidated. I am sad for my two little girls, aged 6 and 3, who don't really understand why mom has to stay in bed all day and for all the things that I've missed over the last 2 months and am still going to miss like her first ballet recital, their Christmas concerts, her first day of primary school.

I was really glad to find this community online!
Thank you for taking the time to read my story and I look forward to reading yours.