Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 20 weeks 4 days, open cervix, 1-2 cm dilated  (Read 1579 times)

ClarineD

• Thanks for joining! Has Keep 'Em Cookin' helped you? Please give $2 or more to help KeepEmCookin.com stay online: paypal.me/angeladavids
    • View Profile
20 weeks 4 days, open cervix, 1-2 cm dilated
« on: January 19, 2020 at 03:03 AM »
20 weeks 4 days, open cervix, dilated 1-2 cm. Needless to say I’m so worried and on bed rest just trying to make it with my baby boy to viability so the hospital can admit us for the duration of my pregnancy. Not quite sure if bed rest will truly work but i rather give my son the chance. Any other moms on this journey on week 20?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020 at 08:13 PM by ClarineD »

Peppermints Mom

• Thanks for joining! Has Keep 'Em Cookin' helped you? Please give $2 or more to help KeepEmCookin.com stay online: paypal.me/angeladavids
    • View Profile
Re: 20 weeks 4 days thin cervix 1-2 cm dilated
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020 at 02:05 PM »
Hi!
I am a bit further along, 25 weeks and 5 days and my reason for bed rest is not exactly the same, but I just wanted to say good luck and you are not alone! I have been on bedrest since 14 weeks 1 day and I can completely relate with the worrying. 24 weeks was a huge milestone for me and each week since.
Hang in there!

ClarineD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020 at 06:08 PM »
Everyday feels like such a blessing. How did you keep yourself going from week 14 until now?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020 at 08:14 PM by ClarineD »

Peppermints Mom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020 at 01:28 AM »
The first few weeks were the worst because my anxiety was just absolutely overwhelming, I couldn't feel the baby move yet and it was so hard to think of anything else. When I started to feel the baby move it became a little easier as at least I knew he was still ok.

I felt and still at times feel very out of control, so what helped with that was making lists of what needed to be managed at home, what I needed for my hospital bag should I need to be admitted, bought what I still needed online, made lists or wrote instructions for things that would make it easier for my husband or whoever might be helping out should I suddenly be admitted etc. At 20 weeks I asked my husband to get our old baby stuff out of storage and I started sorting through it to see what was still usable and what I would need for the baby (not as simple as it sound when you're not allowed to sit!) and put aside things that we could donate etc. I set myself little milestones and would "reward" myself in someway - eating my favourite chocolate or e.g. at 24 weeks writing up my birth plan. My next milestone is tomorrow, 26 weeks and I have a follow-up with the Gynaecologist so planning on getting a soft serve on the way back home  ;) That said I also try not to let myself get ahead of things but rather trying to take it one day at a time, focussing on what I plan for that day and the fact that we are ok in the moment.

Since 24 weeks I have been reading up a bit about options like kangaroo mother care and neurodevelopmental supportive care and what to expect should he be born premature, but I am careful which websites I read and I limit myself on how much time I spend on this.

I have two little girls, aged 6 and 3, so although it is really difficult being in bed while they need to be cared for it actually also helped because it forced me to try and maintain some sort of routine. I also have my own business so initially I had to try and get myself to focus enough to get things put in place so that my clients could be referred out or managed by my locum etc. I have been watching more series and movies than I have probably ever watched in my life combined and playing really pointless games on my phone just to distract me.

I try to do mindfulness everyday but it is really hard on days when my anxiety is high or I feel very emotional, as I can't seem to focus or quiet my mind. I try to remember to breath deeply at least.

My husband worked from home so that was a great help, as we don't have a big support system. We live in South Africa and most of our family and friends have emigrated overseas and the family we do still have here are limited in their capacity to assist due to old age or long working hours etc. and then it was the December summer holidays so most people we knew were away. That I think has probably been the hardest for me, the fact that I have felt so extremely isolated with very few visitors and when people do call or send messages they focus very much on my health, which I know they mean well but keeps you in the mindset of overthinking things whilst there is not much change from day to day in the situation. I really just want people to come by and talk about random everyday things. So I have started group chats on a messaging app where I send updates after each Dr's visit or if anything does happen and have asked that people rather spend time chatting to me about other stuff, noting that I would let them know if I needed to talk about what was going on with me and baby.

I am usually a do-er, so I have had to learn patience instead of getting stuff done myself and I have had to learn to ask for help and to be specific in terms of what I ask because people offer to help but then because their busy with their own lives don't actually get to it, so I have found saying hey, we would really appreciate if you could bring us dinner on Friday or whatever, works better (although it made me feel a bit rude).

My back and neck started to give me problems from all the lying and trying to keep myself busy while not being allowed to sit, so I arranged some home visits by a physiotherapist, who also helped me with some very limited and basic exercises like foot pumps to help prevent DVT and some theraband stretches with my arms to help maintain some strength there at least and loosen up my back and to look at positioning and techniques in lying which could help relieve some of the discomfort.

Other things that I do to pass the time is colouring, reading, doing number and word puzzles, playing games on the bed with my kids etc.

It is hard though and I find that my emotions are up and down a lot. There is at least one day in a week where it all just feels to much and I cry about everything but I have also found that when I started to allow myself that space just to cry about it then, it is sort of therapeutic and I seem to cope better the rest of the time.

FayeFaye

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020 at 01:26 AM »
Hello Bed Rest Ladies

I have been on bed rest since week 19, this was following an ultrasound; I was diagnosed with incompetent cervix, measuring only 18mm with funneling, although cervix was closed. I was sent for immediate cervical stitch the following day and have been on bed rest in hospital ever since.

I’m currently 21 weeks pregnant with twins. I have bee taking vagina progesterone daily, in addition to Nifedipine; 4x per day.

My obstetrician advised that an internal US won’t be carried out until week 24, but I have had external ones weekly to check on babies, who are good. At this stage my goal is 24 weeks and then baby steps each week from there.

This is a very challenging experience; I miss my home and my cats! But I’m very fortunate to have a good support network around me, who visit me daily. I’m also fortunate to have heaps of personal leave at work so have been able to use that, therefore no financial strain.

At present, I find I spend my days in hospital lay in bed, reading books, playing games and watching Netflix, in between seeing partner, friends and family. My partner is FIFO, he had taken time off work when all this happened, but is due to go back for 8 days next week. It will be hard with him not here but I’m going to ask friends to visit more regular whilst he is away.

I really feel for anyone who is on bed rest due to a high risk pregnancy! It’s mentally and emotionally challenging. I do believe our mind is very powerful so I’m trying as much as I can to think positive and visualise me holding my babies, some days I can do this better than others, but I think that’s just reality.

Sanni

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020 at 12:46 PM »
Hello everyone! 2 weeks ago I was given strict bed rest at 20 weeks, due to shortened and softened cervix, however completely closed on the outside. I also had a LETZ procedure couple of years ago (CIN3) but the doctors assure me that is not the cause.
Normally I don't have a problem staying home reading or binge watching Netflix / HBO but when you are told you have to it's a different story :) I was going crazy, not being able to go out (I'm a photographer and love going around shooting), see my friends, clean, or worst of all take care of my old dog who needs a lot of attention. Between the frustration of being dependent on others and fear of endangering my baby, I really stayed put.
Found this forum while surfing for other experiences, and while I was waiting for the admin approval 2 weeks passed, my checkup came and things look good. Cervix is on the lower border but again in the normal range, and fully closed. Guess the rest helped and now I'm allowed to go for short walks, do some light housework, even have sex :)