Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: First time mom with anxiety attacks  (Read 423 times)

Krisliv85

• Thanks for joining! Has Keep 'Em Cookin' helped you? Please give $2 or more to help KeepEmCookin.com stay online: paypal.me/angeladavids
    • View Profile
First time mom with anxiety attacks
« on: March 10, 2020 at 02:21 PM »
My name is Kristine and I am seven weeks pregnant. This is my first pregnancy. I was very excited at first but for the last week my anxiety has gone through the roof. I used to suffer with very bad anxiety and was on medication which I got off of when I found out I was pregnant. At first I was OK but all of a sudden the anxiety got terrible. I lost 6 pounds already because I haven’t been able to eat anything but crackers and bread. My doctor put me on Lexapro which should be kicking in by the end of the week. I haven’t been back to work since Friday because the anxiety is so bad that I feel like I’m going crazy. It’s making me wish that I never got pregnant in the first place and that’s a terrible thing to say. I’m just so scared and I don’t know how I’m going to do this.  :'(

Tintin_143

• Thanks for joining! Has Keep 'Em Cookin' helped you? Please give $2 or more to help KeepEmCookin.com stay online: paypal.me/angeladavids
    • View Profile
Re: First time mom with anxiety attacks
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020 at 08:10 PM »
Hi Kristine, my name is Tina and Im now 29 weeks pregnant. Around Week 18, I too, started having SEVERE anxiety. It all started with a random panic attack in the middle of the night and from that point on, i started having severe anxiety, especially right before i was about to go to sleep. I am here to tell you that it will eventually get better for you ESPECIALLY since you're getting on medication. I ended up not taking the medication but one thing that has really helped me is cognitive behavioral therapy. I found a great therapist that i see once a week and she teaches me how to deal with my anxiety on a daily basis. I highly recommend some sort of therapy on top of the medication you're taking. You have no idea what a difference it makes. Basically through therapy i have learned how to avoid sensationalizing my thoughts and not let it take over. I've also learned how to "sit through" my panic attacks and feel the feelings running through my body. It's kind of like exposure therapy. Overall, the best advice i could give you is take your pregnancy one day at a time. Don't think how you're going to handle this for another 7 months, just focus on how you're gonna handle it for the next day and the after and so on and so forth. If you think big picture, it's going to make your anxiety ten times worse. Just worry about tomorrow, i know it's hard but it's the only way to get through. Good luck with everything and please reach out to me if you want to talk some more!