Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Soft Cervix  (Read 2383 times)

Lililvraena

• 28 week preemie, now 4 years old.
    • View Profile
Soft Cervix
« on: July 28, 2010 at 01:39 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm not a regular on this board, but visited it quite a bit before making the decision to have a second baby. DD was born at 28 weeks 2 days a little over five years ago for unknown reasons (labor seemed to start out of no where one day, and she was born 6 hours later), and I'm now 27 weeks 2 days pregnant.

At my prenatal appointment a month ago I was told my cervix was completely posterior (facing back) and nice and high. At my most recent appointment (Monday), I was hoping for no change, but was told my cervix has come forward a bit, it's "soft", and the external os is open enough for about a finger tip. Anyone have any idea what this kind of "softness" could mean at 27 weeks? I'm so scared I'll pitch into labor at any minute, but was only told to "continue my normal activities", just "take it easy" and "be aware" of contractions and such. I'd really appreciate any input/experiences you could share :)

--Emilia
"We have a secret in our culture, and it's not that birth is painful - It's that women are strong." ~ Laura Stavoe Harm

janad

Re: Soft Cervix
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010 at 01:47 PM »
Hi,

I'm currently 24 wks 6 days, went in to have my cervix checked last Thursday and the nurse said it felt soft.  They did a transvaginal ultrasound immediately to measure my cervical length and found that I had 50% funneling of the cervix and that it had thinned to 1 to 1.5 cm.  I was sent to hospital and have been here since.  I would push harder for them to run some more tests on you, especially since you had previous preterm labor.  My daughter was born at 32 weeks so they have really been watching me this time and I'm lucky they caught the problem early.  Good luck!!